22. Miserable

Levi noticed Sophie's absence. Even though he kept his distance and was usually out of her sight he knew when she was coming to the canteen to eat. He usually finished his meal right before she came there, so he always hid behind columns or stairs to avert her seeing him. He didn't want to trigger her, so he stayed away. But those small moments when he was hiding for her to pass him peacefully he could watch her, make sure that she was alive and safe. Unhappy, but away from the danger. It was all that mattered. But yesterday, when he hid behind the stairs to give her space no one looking like her passed him. He waited there for almost an hour, just to make sure that she didn't decide to go later than usual, because if she did and he would meet her face to face she would get mad and pissed looking at him, maybe attacking him even and getting a reprimand. He didn't want to risk it.

He was nervous as he didn't know why she didn't come for breakfast. Why didn't she come for lunch and then dinner? Was she sick? Or did she... No. She wouldn't. She wouldn't harm herself, she was far too strong for that. Right? Right?!

The qualm caused to him by this was getting out of hand, it made him panic. He was afraid of her well-being. If only she talked with anyone he could have asked them about her, but no. That stupid brat insisted on being alone. She shouldn't be alone, not even for a second.

"Oi! Levi!" Hange waved at him the third day since he didn't see her. "What's about your face?"

"What do you mean?" he arched an eyebrow at her, not really in the mood for talking. He was looking nervously at the other tables only to switch his sight to the entrance checking if she didn't show up. He was miserable. He had one job and he failed. How could he agree on staying away?

"You seem sad"

"And that's new to you?"

"No, but it's a different sadness"

"Type that in the shitty notebook that you're carrying around" he pointed with his head at the mentioned notebook tucked in her pants.

"You think I didn't do it already?" she tried teasing him, but he sent her a glare that made her change attitude into a more serious one, clearly he appreciated that expression much more. "You seem worried" she frowned. "Why?"

He rolled his eyes in response and sipped on his tea. One of the pros of this place, access to his favorite drink. He already found out that it was cheaper above the ground. And he didn't have to hunt for it to show up on the market, it was always there and Scouts had a pretty big storage of teabags.

"Leviiiii" she whined impatiently and propped her face on her elbows as she looked at him beggingly, pouting her lips. She reminded him of Isabel in that moment and he felt sick again, the memory of her chopped body appeared in his head again, stuffing it with a massive guilt, leading him to thinking of Sophie which made his heart squeeze in pain. "Come on! Talk to me!"

"Are you bored?" he sighed in irritation.

"As hell" she admitted.

"Go and bother someone else"

"I tried"

"Leave me alone, four-eyes"

"Fine, gosh. You and Sophie aren't talkative types, huh?" she said as she stood up, ready to leave him alone, but she noticed a slight change on his face. Suddenly his eyes widened at the mention of her and his lips parted a little as if he wanted to say something. "Ohh! You're worried about her" she said and quickly sat back, observing him thoroughly with a wide smile on her face that made him uncomfortable, her energy was too much for him. But she mentioned Sophie. No one was mentioning her at all, because she talked to no one as far as he knew. But maybe she was talking to Hange? If she did then he would endure her presence. Maybe she would know why she didn't show up lately? "Interesting!" she added.