Chapter 4: Ew, Logan and Patton are a Lovey Dovey Couple

Virgil fell onto the couch on his stomach, stretching his wings out. He heard Patton giggle and the wheels squeak as he came over, scratching where his wings met his back, making the fairy purr slightly.

"You're taking the whole couch you lazy bones," Patton told him.

Virgil grabbed a pillow and hid his face in it. "It's comfy," he said, though it was muffled by the pillow.

"If you don't move I'll sit on your legs."

The fair grumbled but sat up, moving his legs and sticking his tongue out. Patton stuck his tongue out back at him, climbing from his wheelchair to the couch. Once he was on, Virgil smacked him with his wing.

"Hey!" Patton complained, pushing the feathers back. "Rude, and after I scratched your back for you."

"I can reach back there just fine." Virgil wrapped his wings around himself. "Anyway, what do you want for dinner?"

Patton groaned and tried to melt into the couch. "We gotta make dinner now? We just finished outside, and we're dirty!" He raised his dirt covered hands to show.

"I'll make dinner then, just tell me what you want?"

"No, you made breakfast and lunch, I can do dinner."

"Patton, you've been working all day, you need to rest." Virgil stood up and stretched his back.

"At least let me help, you've done a lot today too." Patton folded his hands together and gave him a big eyed, pleading look.

The fairy sighed, "Fine, but no standing up. I can't imagine how much your legs must be aching."

"Yay! Okay, did you get fish?" He asked as he moved back into his wheelchair.

"Yup, and let me guess, you want fish?"

"It's the only meat you will eat, and we need protein! Oh, do we have salt?"

"Yes, and I'm guessing you want me to cut up some potatoes?" Virgil grabbed the wheelchair handles and started pushing Patton towards the kitchen.

"After I skin them!"

"Yeah yeah, be sure to wash your hands first," Virgil laughed. Though when they reached the kitchen, there was a knock at the door. "Oh crap."

"Language!"

The fairy rushed to the living room, grabbing his cloak that he threw on the back of the couch earlier. He put it on, folding his wings to his back tightly before rushing to the door. "Coming!" he called, reaching the door. He opened it and put on a fake smile, before relaxing. "Logan."

"Apologies for frightening you like that," the alchemist said, walking in as Virgil stepped aside. The fairy took off his cloak and put it on a coat rack, letting his wings relax. "I see you had a busy day."

"Logie!" Patton called, wheeling himself to the door. The house was pretty small so it didn't take long to get there.

"Patton dear," he greeted, lowering himself to give the other a kiss on the head. "You're covered in dirt."

"You try pulling out potatoes without getting dirty," Virgil said, making Patton giggle.

"We were about to clean up and make dinner," he explained. "What are you doing here?"

"Can't I ever just visit you?" Logan asked.

"Did you bring jam?" Virgil asked.

He pulled out a jar from his bag. "No house should be without a jar! It's simply the best! Better than anything from my old town."

The fairy took the jar from him. "Weren't you five when you moved here?"

"That's besides the point. I'm just here because my parents allowed me to leave work early, and I wanted to see you two."

"Aw!" Patton said while Virgil faked gagging. "Have I ever told you how much I love your parents?"

"Yes, and you've told them yourself, about every time you see them."

"I just have so much love to give!"

Virgil made his way back to the kitchen. "Ah, so the opposite of me."

"You say that, but I know how much you love this place!"

"Yeah, I like the Matela, but not everyone in it. There are only five living people that I care about here, and that's it."

"You're including Miss Kayda, aren't you?"

"Yes," Logan agreed. "I was wondering when you'll tell her about your wings?"

"Hey, that's an if! Because I might never," Virgil told them. "She's great and I appreciate her, but telling her about my wings is a whole other thing."

"If you're not ready, then that's okay. Just take your time, but I'm sure she'll be accepting. My parents and I have been, and always will be."

Virgil rubbed his arm. "I don't think I'll ever be ready. I would rather everyone find it out at my death."

"Miss Kayda will most likely pass before you, she's much older."

"Then I'll tell her in the afterlife."

"If there is one."

"You never know." Virgil pushed up his sleeves before wetting a rag to clean the dirt off of himself, using a bucket that was full of water. He would need to get more water from the well for dinner.

"Would you like something to eat?" Patton asked. "We're making fish and potato slices. We're using salt too!"

"I suppose, I'm already here and I have not eaten after all."

"That definitely won't do, we need to make food fast!"

"No, not fast," Virgil warned, already putting on his gloves. "You'll get hurt. Besides, even if I'm the only one that gets hurt, the pans are made from iron so it won't heal quickly."

"Why have you kept those pans?" Logan asked as he and Patton came over. "Every other iron appliance in this house was replaced when you moved in."

"Yeah, when I started getting sick mom freaked and got rid of almost everything. But these pans are too good to get rid of, and they don't bother me too much." The fairy pulled out some fish from a nearby barrel, putting them on a chopping board. "Plus, the cast iron has seasoning on it from past cooking, can't get rid of that."

Logan sighed, "As long as you're careful. Iron poisoning is hard to treat for fairies, mostly because we don't know much about care for your species."

Virgil managed to suppress the flinch at the reminder that he wasn't human. "Well, mom and dad found things that helped when I was younger. If I somehow get iron poisoning again, which I won't, Patton will know how to help me."

"You better not," Patton mumbled. "I can only do so much."

"Good thing this is the only iron in the house then." Virgil lifted the pan. "Now are we going to make dinner or what? I'm starving, and I'm done waiting for you two."