Chapter 41: Ah, the Bickering like an Old Couple Stage

The first thing Roman saw when he woke up was feathers. He smiled, knowing Virgil was awake because he could feel the amusement coming from the fairy. Virgil looked over and smiled at him before turning around. The witch sat up and saw Darrell curled up and being held in his boyfriend's arms.

"And once again he stole you from me," Roman pouted. When they both fell asleep the night before, Virgil had a wing covering the witch and he held him close.

"He's so fluffy and comfortable to hold," Virgil defended.

Roman rolled his eyes but reached over and scratched in the space between Virgil's wings, and immediately the fairy seemed to melt and purr in delight. "Yet I know where you like your wings to be scratched. You're adorable."

"No... I'm-I'm not," Virgil mumbled, his eyes closed in comfort as Roman's fingers traveled up his wings..

"You're purring."

"'s nice."

"You can barely speak."

Virgil hummed in response, his wings leaning into the witch's hands. Much to his disappointment, Roman stopped and smoothed the feathers down again.

"Come on, we should get up. You too, Darrell," Roman told them, scratching the fox's head who yipped quietly.

"I don't want to get out of bed, I'm comfortable," Virgil whined.

"I can hear Logan and Patton already up and in the kitchen." The fairy buried his face into Darrell's fur, holding him tighter like a stuffed animal. Roman rolled his eyes in response, moving so he was sitting on his knees. "Alright, you leave me no choice."

Virgil's eyes widened at the mischievous tone in Roman's voice. "Wait- wait!"

Roman immediately attacked Virgil's sides, tickling him mercilessly. The fairy shouted in laughter, trying to push Roman's hands away, and Darrell immediately jumped off the bed, barking at them.

"St-st-op!" he shouted through his laughter. "Ro-rom-an!"

The witch finally pulled away and Virgil tried to catch his breath, wiping away some tears that were in the corner of his eye.

"Ready to go now?" Roman asked smugly.

"You're a jackass sometimes, you know that, right?"

"It's a gift. Come on! Let's go let's go let's go!"

Virgil let his boyfriend pull him up. "Why did I fall in love with a morning person?"

"And I fell in love with a night owl. Seriously, you kept me up late talking last night."

"Considering the fact that you just tickled me, I'm not sorry." Virgil's feet landed on the ground.

Darrell was waiting for them at the door, not happy that his cuddle buddy was taken from him. Roman opened the door and pulled Virgil out of the room, Darrell following and twisting around their legs before rushing off to the living room.

"Darrell!" Patton called, reaching down from his wheelchair to give the fox pets and scratches.

"He's so needy," Roman laughed as they reached the kitchen.

"Good morning Roman and Virgil," Logan greeted.

"Morning," Virgil mumbled, letting go of Roman's hand to find something to eat.

"What was up with you Laughy-Mcgee?" Patton teased.

"Roman attacked me." He pulled out the bread, grabbing a knife to start cutting up some slices.

"I tickled you," Roman corrected.

"Yeah, attacked. You want some toast?"

"Yes please."

"Oh, let's cook up some bacon too!" Patton suggested. "Can Darrell have bacon?"

"Yup, but not with too much fat."

"Okay. What about you Logan, is there a certain food you want?"

"Just toast with jam is fine," the alchemist answered. "Though, I shouldn't stay long. My parents will need help back at home since we got a big order yesterday before I left."

"That's okay, actually our vegetables need to be picked soon anyway. Maybe Virgil and I can get the potatoes today, since I don't want to spend too much time in the fields."

"Oh, I can help out in the fields if you would like!" Roman offered.

"Really? That would be awesome! Oh, I've been wanting to ask, do you want an official job here? Or is this just a one time thing? We can pay you either way."

"I wouldn't mind it being a job! I just don't know how much I can come over since I still have to tend to my own garden and take care of Darrell."

"A part time job won't hurt! It'll definitely help us, right Virgil?"

"Yeah, I guess. Working together actually sounds nice," the fairy replied, putting a piece of bread onto the pan he pulled out.

"As long as you two lovebirds don't distract each other."

Roman blushed red. "Patton!"

The human laughed, "Oh you both are so different and yet so alike."

"Man, it's been a long time since it's been more than just the two of us out in the field," Virgil pointed out. "It's going to be weird."

"Well maybe Miss Kayda will get off our back about us getting more help if Roman's working with us. Plus you get to keep your wings out!"

Roman felt nervousness come from Virgil the moment Miss Kayda was mentioned. "You're nervous about telling her?"

"Yeah," Virgil admitted. "But I still want to. I just gotta get over this nervousness, I'll be fine."

"You still have four days, so don't worry about it. Besides, she loves you, she'll definitely be surprised but will still love you."

"Yeah yeah, I get it, people love me." Virgil rolled his eyes.

"Because you're so lovable!" Roman hugged him from behind. "My little angel."

"Logan, they're being mushy, make them stop!"

The alchemist sighed, "It's near impossible to stop Patton when it's just him, I fear it would be impossible to stop both of them. Especially since Roman is your boyfriend who is hugging you."

Roman kissed the back of Virgil's head as the fairy slid the piece of toast off and onto a plate. "And you're stuck with us," he told him.

Virgil replied, "I will burn your toast."

"No you won't. Right?"