Chapter 23: Huh, So That's What Happened to Remus, Wonder if He'll Come Back

CW: depression, talk of death

Happy Thanksgiving!

Clutching onto the bag strap that crossed his chest, Virgil made his way to Roman's home. Physically he wasn't tired since the witch had insisted on making those sleeping potions, which really do help. However he was mentally exhausted, having been worrying about the witch the last three days.

Of course Darrell was with the witch, so he wasn't alone. But Virgil didn't know if he was okay, and he wanted to be sure. The grief was so heavy when they last talked, it was horrible. He wanted to be sure Roman would be okay.

So he bought him some muffins, it was a small gesture but hopefully it'll brighten Roman's mood if only a little bit. They were placed into a paper box, which was placed in the bag that hung at his hip. Virgil was sure to get different kinds, blueberry, chocolate, pumpkin, and just plain vanilla just in case.

The fairy's heart sank when he reached Roman's house. Even from outside the front door he could feel the grief, it was as if the gravity became stronger around the wooden house. Even leaves that grew from some branches on the house seemed to wither, the edges dead. This was the grief one feels when they lose someone or something important.

Virgil hesitated but knocked. "Roman? It's me, Virgil."

There was no response other than the door opening. At least he was awake, and seemed to be okay with company for now. Virgil walked in, closing the door behind him while looking for any sign of where the witch might be.

He saw Darrell peak his head out from behind a door in the hallway before ducking back in. Okay, so Roman was in there. It was probably his room, Virgil's never actually seen it before. As he got closer, it got heavier as if Virgil was weighed down by sand bags. What happened this day all those years ago to make Roman feel like this?

He tentatively knocked on the door before peeking inside. Roman was sitting up on his bed, his blanket over his shoulders as he slowly petted the concerned fox. He looked up at the fairy, who tensed up with worry. The witch's hair was a mess and his eyes were red as if he was crying.

"Hey," Virgil greeted awkwardly, coming closer. Darrell looked over to him and whined, pawing the bed slightly. The fairy rubbed his head before sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"I'm-I'm sorry," Roman mumbled, putting a hand over his mouth. "You probably don't want to be here."

"No, I want to make sure you're okay. I won't leave unless you tell me to. So... I um... I brought muffins." Virgil pulled the box out. "Patton always gave me something to eat when I was sad. Mostly something to go with tea if you want me to brew some."

"Thank you, but it's okay, you don't have to do that."

"At least eat a muffin? I have a feeling you haven't eaten today." The fairy opened the box, revealing the four giant muffins. "I wasn't sure what kind you would like, so I got these ones. Blueberry, chocolate, pumpkin, and vanilla." He pointed to each one as he spoke. "Although, if you don't like muffins I can run back and find something else."

Roman gave him a small smile. "Don't worry, I like muffins. I'm just not hungry right now."

"Then we can eat later, as long as you get something in your stomach I'm not going to force you, okay?" He set aside the box. Darrell sniffed at it for a moment before crawling back to Roman and curling up, chirping quietly.

"Okay." Roman gave a small nod. "Thank you."

"Of course. I mean, it's the least I can do for what you've done for me. Not that I wouldn't have done this if you hadn't saved me, I-I did this cause we're friends and I..."

"Virgil, it's okay. I appreciate it, I really do. I'm just... tired right now."

"Alright, then we can just lay here for now if you want."

Roman nodded, doing just that. He laid on his side, his back to the headboard of the bed. Darrell crawled closer to his chest and laid against him, purring slightly in an attempt to make the witch feel better. Virgil came closer before lying down, gently laying one of his wings over Roman and Darrell.

They were quiet for a moment before Roman spoke up again. "Do you want to know what I did?"

"Roman you don't have to-" Virgil started to say before being interrupted.

"No, I want to tell you. You told me what happened to you and... I trust you. I want you to trust me."

The fairy opened his mouth to assure the witch that he did, but he sighed and nodded. "Okay, but only if you're sure you want to tell me."

Roman smiled at him. "I'm sure." He looked down at the bed as he stayed quiet for a moment before speaking up again. "I never met my dad, but I lived with my mom and my brother. We lived in a human village, and my mom taught my brother and I magic. One day, she got sick and passed away. No potions worked, we couldn't heal her and it was all so sudden. My brother and I were sixteen, and managed to get jobs. I worked in a bakery, and my brother worked on a farm. A year passed and monster hunters came to town, passing through." Virgil frowned in worry, hating where the story was going. "I got into an argument with someone at work, they were praising the monster hunters for what they do. I wasn't careful, and I ended up using my magic in anger."

"Roman..."

"No one got hurt, I didn't want anyone to get hurt, but everyone was afraid. Someone ran to get the monster hunters, and I ran to find my brother. I ran home, but he wasn't there. I quickly packed two bags, grabbing some spell and potion books. Then I went to the farm my brother works on but... I was already too late." Tears formed in Roman's eyes but he held a broken smile. "My brother, my twin brother! I saw from a distance monster hunters pinning him down, he shouted things at them that I would never get out of my mind. I should have saved him, I should have helped, but I didn't. I didn't save him. They took him away and it was all my fault. I was a coward."

Virgil reached over and took his hand. "I'm sorry. Monster hunters are just... they've hurt so many of us. I know you don't want to hear this, but I don't blame you. I would have been terrified too, even now I would be scared. You were seventeen."

Roman frowned, tears falling from his eyes. "For seventeen years, my brother and I celebrated our birthday together on this day. Now I'm alone, and we can't celebrate together because I was too scared to save him."

"It's your birthday?" Virgil's voice was quiet.

"Yeah, I'm officially twenty five years old. My brother would have been, but he's gone now. He's probably dead, it's been eight years." Roman gave a broken laugh. "You know, I always thought that if anyone could get away from monster hunters it would be him. He was crazy and had the most dangerous ideas, but most of them always worked out in the end. Maybe... maybe he is out there. Maybe he escaped somehow and is wreaking havoc somewhere. But that's just wishful thinking, isn't it? If he is though... I wonder if he knows I'm alive."

"What was his name?"

"Remus. Remus Alastor... Growing up with him was... interesting. You know how Patton is pure and really kind? Yeah, Remus was the opposite. And yet I would do anything to turn back time, do something different. Maybe if I never started that argument with that one person, or if I had controlled my magic. Hell, I would fight every monster hunter in the world to protect him if I could, or even trade places."

Virgil held Roman's hand tighter. "I know you feel that way, and I wish you didn't go through all that, but I'm really glad you're here now. I'm glad we met and became friends. We can't... we can't change the past, no matter how much it hurts."

Roman closed his eyes, pushing more tears out. "It does hurt, it hurts so much."

The fairy ran his thumb over Roman's knuckles. "You can cry it out, I'm here to help."