Chapter 15: Just Dropping By? Let's Add Some Foreshadowing

Virgil opened the door to the Miller's store-slash-house, seeing Mr. Miller at the counter today. He was writing something down while talking to another customer, Virgil recognized him as Alex.

"Okay, so we'll have your order finished in three days. I'll see you then!" He set the paper in a folder, it was pretty thin but that was because that's where he kept orders for medicine to make. Honestly they needed more people to help them, they're the only local source for the whole village's medicine.

"Thank you," Alex said, turning to leave. They spotted Virgil and gave him a wave, "Hey Virgil."

"Hey," Virgil returned the greeting before Alex left. The fairy turned his attention to Mr. Miller, who smiled brightly. Unlike his son who got his mothers genes, Mr. Miller was a short man, around Virgil's height. His hair was peppered with gray and cut short, he wore wire rimmed glasses, and a tie much like Logan.

"Virgil! What can I do for ya?" he asked, leaning on the counter. "Are you here to get away from the sun?"

The fairy smiled, 'get away from the sun' was code for stretching out his wings. "No one else is here, you can just say it."

"Just habit." Mr. Miller shrugged.

"And no, I'm actually good. I just came up here to pick up some aloe vera ointment, we're running low."

"Now that we have, we always have plenty of it." He bent down to look in the counter underneath. "Here we are, one jar of aloe vera ointment." He pulled it out and placed the green glass jar on the counter.

"I don't know why you buy such expensive glass jars for them," Virgil said, pulling out some silver coins.

"Most get returned when empty, plus they look cool." He took the silver coins and put them away. "Is there anything else you need?"

"Nope, we're stacked on everything else. Logan always encourages that we have everything we might need, and at this point I don't know if it's because he wants us to be healthy or if he wants the business."

Mr. Miller laughed, "It's most likely out of love, but I don't mind the business."

"Yeah, I mean he does discourage anything that would get us hurt or sick. I'm guessing you have him working today?"

"Yup, he's in the back with his mother right now if you wanna visit?"

"Sure, Pat's got a message for him anyway." Virgil unhooked the chain himself, placing it back when he was through.

"Tell them to take a break to get a snack soon."

"Will do." The fairy went upstairs to the work room. He knocked before entering, hearing two voices call to allow him in.

Mrs. Miller looked over from her work in front of her, smiling when she saw him. "Hey angel, what's up?"

"Just visiting, decided to come in and say hi," the fairy said, looking at all of the equipment around the room. In front of Logan was a chemistry set, different colored liquid boiling, dripping, and mixing, all connected by tubes or glass. Mrs. Miller was crushing some leaves together.

Logan looked over to him. "I see you got something?"

"Oh, yeah, just some aloe vera." Virgil lifted it to be seen. "Patton says that he loves you by the way."

"That's very considerate, please return the message when you get home."

"You guys need to move in together already so I can stop being your messenger. Oh, and your dad told me to tell you to take a break and get a snack soon."

"Thank you love," Mrs. Miller told him, standing up and wiping her hands on her skirt. "I'll go make something for the two of us. Do you want anything to go?"

"You don't need to do that, but thank you."

"If you insist. Do you need to let your wings out?"

"No, I should be heading home soon to help Patton with the farm. The carrots are looking ripe, and we're going to set up shop tomorrow."

"Yum, carrots!"

Virgil made a disgusted face. "Yuck."

"I don't like carrots either but you need to eat them," Logan said.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then, Virgil," Mrs. Miller ignored her son, opening the door.

"Bye, see you later," Virgil said as he made his way closer to Logan. He smiled a bit wieder. "Patton's been letting me use some magic on the crops at home."

"Oh, that's right, he told me that you've been practicing." Logan pushed up his glasses as he turned back to the chemistry set, adjusting the flame on the burner.

"Maybe if I get really good, I can use my magic on whole fields! The crops will be good every year!"

"Perhaps. How do you use your magic?" The alchemist turned back to him.

"I mean, I just focus on it and send it where I'm focusing on I guess? Every time I use it, I feel this warmth in my chest though."

"That could be your core. Did you ever finish that book you lent to Roman?"

Virgil nodded. "Yeah, though I need to return it to him."

"Do you think I could borrow it? I would love to learn more about other species."

"Okay, but only if you can read it fast."

"Do you doubt my reading speed? I'm much quicker than you."

Virgil crossed his arms. "Watch your ego, I finished the book in two days."

"Then I'll be sure to read it in one." Logan smiled at him.

"Whatever, if you swing by later tonight I can let you borrow it, but if not then I'll just bring it tomorrow. Does that sound good?"

"Yes, that is satisfactory. I take it you'll be heading out then?"

"Guess so, see you later." Virgil set the aloe vera jar in his bag.

"Oh, by the way I heard that tomorrow someone will be sent from Randsted to pick up crops for the town. If you would like, you and Patton could stay here and I wouldn't mind taking care of selling your crops for you."

The fairy hesitated before leaving, he had completely forgotten about that. "Um... I-I would have to ask Patton to see what he wants to do. But I'll let him know, thank you."

"It's no problem, I know that neither you nor Patton like them very much. Plus, with you running into that trap I'm sure you like them even less."

Virgil tried to push back the memories of that day. "You have no idea. Thanks again, I'll tell Patton but he might want to deal with it himself. Either way, see you tomorrow."

"Good bye, have a safe trip home."

"Bye." He left the room, closing the door behind him. He'll be fine, there's no way a hunter that he ran into will be there anyway.