Chapter 46: How Do You Forget Something Like That?!

CW: mention of monster hunters, panic, and a beautiful cliffhanger :)

Roman stretched his back before climbing out of bed, Darrell jumping down to the floor as they made their way to his door. The witch was going to head to the kitchen to get something to eat before he remembered his guests.

He turned to walk to the guest room, knocking on the door before creaking it open. The gorgon was on the bed, halfway sitting up as he and several of his snakes looked over. Remus was on the floor, sprawled out and somehow making the hard wood look comfortable as he slept on. Rascal laid curled up on his stomach.

"Didn't mean to... wake you," Roman said, looking between Janus and the witch on the floor.

"I didn't kick him off the bed, he chose to sleep there," Janus explained.

Roman nodded. "That does sound like him. Good to see he hasn't changed a bit. I'm about to make breakfast, is there anything you want or don't eat...?"

"I'm sure I'll eat whatever you make, hopefully you're a better cook than your brother." The gorgon laid back down. "I'll wake up your brother in a moment."

"Okay, then I'll just make something for us." Roman closed the door and went over to the kitchen. He pulled out a few things and started to cook before he heard loud complaining from his brother.

"I wanna stay on the floor!" Remus shouted.

Janus's voice was muffled, but Roman was able to tell that he was slightly annoyed. He laughed slightly and in no time he saw the others walking down the hallway.

Somehow the gorgon was already dressed, a small black cape over his shoulders and a dark yellow button up shirt underneath. Remus wore the same thing he wore yesterday, his brown vest, dark green shirt that was torn up and covered in mud stains making it look darker, and gray pants. Rascal was on his shoulder, wrapped around his neck as if she were a scarf.

"Morning Remus," Roman greeted.

"Your floor was not comfortable, the dirt is better," Remus told him, slumping into a seat on the other side of the counter.

Janus sighed, "There was plenty of space on the bed, you chose not to sleep with me."

"Ooh, ki-"

Janus put his hand on Remus's face. "No."

Roman laughed with a small shake of his head. "I can't believe I missed that. So, what did you guys eat while traveling?"

"Berries, eggs, fish, occasionally we'd hunt for other prey," Remus answered. "If we had any money, and we were near town, sometimes I would buy some food and bring it back to Janus. I've been practicing glamour though and we have a really cool human disguise for Janus!" He waved his hand at the gorgon, and suddenly the snakes turned into long blonde hair, and his eyes became amber.

"Ooh nice, I've been teaching Virgil how to use his glamour properly because before we met, he would bind his wings whenever he went to town."

"Youch."

"So he doesn't live in town?" Janus asked.

"No, he lives on a farm a few miles from Matela. He and his brother, who is human, sell their food there. He was adopted by a human family."

"Why is it I feel like there's something we're forgetting?" the gorgon mumbled.

"Eh, I'm sure it'll come back to you," Remus told him. "So, whatcha making?"

"Meat and potatoes. Well, fish and potatoes I guess, since that's the only meat I have. Virgil's pescatarian, and he comes over so often that it changed our diet somehow."

Darrell yipped in agreement, though he seemed more focused on the food Roman was cooking.

"What do you do to get money? Didn't your boyfriend mention something about you taking the day off?" Remus asked. "Does that mean you work for him?"

"Well, I got a part time job at their farm recently, but before then I grew and sold herbs for the town alchemist. What about you? You said you sometimes come across money?"

"Oh right! That's 'cause we steal from... monster hunters..." Remus slapped his forehead. "Shit that's what we forgot!"

Janus stood up. "Dammit! You're right! Gods, that was the whole reason we came here!"

Roman set the spatula he had in hand down, worry building in his chest. "What, what is it?"

"Okay, so we're nomads because what we do is mess with monster hunters!" Remus explained. "We attack them, steal from them, free any monsters they capture, we're actually their most wanted and it's kinda neat-"

"We heard about a monster attack out here and got word that monster hunters were heading down here," Janus interrupted to keep them on track.

"We actually ran into them a few nights ago and stole some supplies, but then escaped before they caught us. They were ahead of us after that because we figured before they go hunting they would stop in town to rest and get more supplies. So they're probably in Matela right now! If your fairy boyfriend goes into town today, he could get caught!"

Roman's heart dropped. "We need to warn him, right now." He put out the fire for the stove and left everything on the counter before grabbing his cloak and boots. He hardly waited for Remus and Janus to get their boots on before throwing the door open and rushing out of the house.

His brother and the gorgon were behind him the whole time, and they hardly slowed down. Roman didn't want to slow down, he had to get to Virgil's and Patton's house before either of them decided to go to town.

He felt worry coming from Virgil, possibly because Roman himself was full of fear. It wasn't strong though, so he was probably safe right now. He had to be safe. Please let him be safe.

After running for a long time, the house finally came into view. Roman could see Patton sitting out on the deck, and hope filled his chest. Janus and Remus slowed down only long enough for the witch to put up a glamour for the gorgon.

"Patton!" Roman called, running even faster until only Darrell was able to match his speed. Everything was okay, everything had to be okay.

The human looked up from where he was almost done knitting a purple scarf. The small smile on his face turned to one of worry when he saw how worried Roman was, then when he saw the other two behind him.

"Roman? Is everything okay? Who...?" he asked, looking over to Remus and Janus.

"This is my brother and his boyfriend, I'll explain everything later! Where is Virgil?" the witch asked, only now trying to catch his breath as the others finally caught up.

"He-he went into town to get food, why? What's wrong?"

Roman's face paled, and he felt Virgil's own worry grow. Before he could answer to explain, the fairy's worry grew into pure panic in an instant.