Chapter 6: 'Kay, Let's Get This Story Started

CW: blood, burning, broken bones, mentioning of poisoning, and a bear trap

Virgil placed a tomato in a basket before reaching over to pick another. They were a nice warm up to start the day, because they had the smallest portion in the field and they were the easiest to grab. Though, there didn't seem to be a lot that were ripe.

"Is that all of them already?" Patton asked, his basket was half full.

"I guess we're just too early. We still have plenty of vegetables to sell at the market."

"Yeah, but I wanted to give your wings a break." He pouted for a moment before brightening up. "Why don't we have a day off? We have plenty of food, and enough money for now. It's been a while since you've been in the forest!"

"I guess that does sound nice. What about you, what will you do?"

"I would bug Logan at work, but I do that enough and I can't get to town on my own so I'll just sleep in. Oh! Actually I've been learning to knit!"

"Really? Can you make me a scarf before winter hits?"

"We have a few months before that happens, so sure." Patton came over and took Virgil's basket from him. "I'll take care of these, just head off to the forest already. Oh, but stay away from the hunters. I know they're not around often anymore but I don't want you getting in trouble, if you hear anyone coming hide your wings."

"I know how to handle myself, don't worry." Virgil dusted off his hands. "I'll just grab a snack before heading out, in case I stay longer than I mean to."

"Or to feed the forest animals like an actual princess from a story book," Patton mumbled with a slight smile.

"Hey! I'm not the princess, I'm the fairy that curses princesses."

"Sure you are. Say hi to the little forest critters for me."

Virgil rolled his eyes as he started to walk away. "You're hilarious."

"Oh, and if you can bring me back a cool stick!"

"Will do." The fairy went back inside, grabbing a box and putting both strawberries and blueberries in it. He put it in his pocket and grabbed his cloak, hearing Patton enter the house. "I'm leaving, see you later!"

"Bye!" Patton called back as he closed the door.

Virgil couldn't help but smile in excitement, it's been a while since he had time to explore the forest. Well, explore was the wrong word, he always goes to the same spot as usual, but it was still quite a long walk through the forest. He enjoyed it though, it was calming, and yes forest animals sometimes follow him or hang out with him. He didn't understand them, but he still enjoyed their company.

And luckily the forest was a short walk from the farm, though they had to put up fences to keep animals out, and sometimes they heard a gunshot from hunters. Whenever that happened, Patton would always be quick to find Virgil to 'make sure you're okay' even though the fairy could tell it was more than that. It didn't bother him, he didn't mind cuddling with his brother if it made him feel safe.

Other than that, Virgil was glad they lived close to the forest. He liked to go off trail to let his wings loose, it was so freeing. Sometimes he would bring a book to read or paper and a pencil to draw, other times he likes to just sit there and breathe. It was relaxing to be out there by himself.

That is, when the hunters weren't there, or when he didn't find any traps. Any time he finds any traps, he makes sure no one is around before taking them down. Unless they were made of iron, then he would do what he could to disabled them before asking for help from Logan. Anything hunter related always brings Virgil's mood down.