Chapter 40: Wow, an Actual Family Dinner! Haven't had that in Four Years

TW: Food, it's mostly in the beginning and only referenced throughout the rest of the text

"Okay, is the table set?" Patton asked, pulling out a pan from the oven.

"Forks, knives, napkins, and cups are all set up there," Virgil told him as he grabbed a spatula. "How's the fish?"

"Give me a knife." His brother held his hand out as he pulled the plates closer. When a knife was placed into his hand, he cut it open, seeing the inside was cooked. "All good! How are the mashed potatoes?"

"Mashed up." Virgil gave Patton the spatula so his brother could put the fish on the plates. Then he grabbed the bowl of mashed potatoes and started scooping some onto the plates with a ladle.

A knock at the door caught their attention and Virgil quickly put everything down. "I got it!"

He sprinted towards the door, already knowing it was Logan there. As soon as he opened the door, he saw that he was right. The alchemist was dressed in a nice dress shirt, and a tie, even though they all said it would just be a simple dinner.

"Greetings Virgil," he said, walking in as the fairy stepped aside.

"Hey! We're almost done," he told him.

"Is Roman here?"

"Not yet, but he's on his way, he should be here soon." Virgil bounced on his feet.

"Then I can help you two set up."

The fairy led the way back to the kitchen, picking up two plates before taking it to the table. Logan picked up two and Patton picked up one.

"I'm guessing the fifth plate is for Darrell?" Logan asked.

"Yup! I don't see enough of him and I don't want him to be left out," Patton explained. "Plus, I'm gonna be honest, Roman might have to stay overnight. You definitely will."

"Do you know the sleeping arrangements?"

"Patton's bed is big enough for the both of you, and mine is big enough for both me and Roman," Virgil said. "Though if either of you two don't want to do that, we have the big bed in the old bedroom or the couch." The fairy looked towards the door suddenly, excitement building in his chest. "They're here!"

He ran over to the door, opening it as Roman just started to climb up the porch. The witch laughed as he saw him, and Darrell ran right up to him.

"Darrell!" Virgil picked him up, making the fox squirm. Though it wasn't because he hated heights or being picked up, he just never knew how to stay still when excited.

"He's stealing my angel from me as always," Roman pouted playfully, Virgil noticed that he was wearing a red jacket instead of his cloak, though it seemed to be made out of the same material.

"He's fluffy and you're not." Virgil stuck his tongue out at him, setting Darrell down who darted inside. The fairy laughed before placing a kiss on Roman's cheek. "Come on, you're just in time, dinner's done. You can take off your shoes and coat and leave them at the front."

"Dinner's done already? I didn't mean to be so late." The witch slipped off his boots and set them next to the bench that was by the door, but kept his coat on.

"Better late than never, besides we're probably going to be up late into the night." Virgil hooked his arm into Roman's, pulling him along as he closed the door.

"It smells good, fish?"

"Do I eat anything else?"

"Eggs, dairy, produce."