Chapter 68: Hey! Roman's Supposed to be the Reckless One!

CW: monster hunters, blood, gore, death, near death, gunshot wound and stabbing (so more gore)

Remus was prepared to see anything when he returned to the battlefield. He was prepared to see them winning or losing, to see monster hunters torn to shreds of people from their side put in cages. He did not expect to see Virgil and Patton fighting alongside Roman. Darrell was further out in the field, using monster hunters as chew toys.

He managed to make his way over to them, using wind magic to push some hunters aside. He skidded to a stop next to Roman, making the witch glance at him for a moment before throwing a red vial which exploded in front of a group of hunters.

"What the heck are you two doing here?!" he asked, turning away from them so they could fight and talk.

"Help-ping," Virgil answered, using wind magic to blow back another group of hunters. He was too tired to say much more.

Patton saw a hunter hiding behind a tent, angling a rifle at them. He lifted the revolver in his hand and shot through the tent, hearing the hunter shout in pain and pull back. "Town isn't safe," he explained, going through the bag of ammunition he had found and put on his lap.

"Well it's less safe here! And you're all out in the open too!" Remus raises his arms to make a wall of dirt grow to stop some bullets. He hit the wall, making it travel towards the hunters that had shot at them.

"I tried convincing them to leave," Roman said. "They're too stubborn though."

"Wow, just like you! Guess you really found the one for you- but you're going to lose him since he's in the middle of a battle with iron poisoning!"

"I-I'm fi-fine," Virgil argued, though his appearance didn't help him convince the others. His face was as pale as paper, and his legs felt like jelly.

Remus took a step forward, using ground magic to cover the hole he had created. "You sure are... You both need to get to town and hide! We got this. Besides, these hunters clearly don't know how to shoo-"

Just as he said it, his leg gave out on him and he fell to the ground. It took him a moment to realize why, and took him even longer to see the blood coming from the hole in his calf as he sat up.

"Rem-" Roman asked, glancing down at his brother before he screamed in pain.

"Shit! Shit! Motherfucker!" Remus covered the bullet wound in his leg, looking up through the tears to see who had shot him but he could barely see anything.

"Remus!" Roman sat down, pulling out a vial.

"R-Roman!" Virgil warned, looking over at the hunters to see someone sitting on a horse. He was reloading a rifle, and didn't show any sign of fear or urgency. Other hunters were around him, almost protecting him. He was clearly the leader here, and the fairy was getting flashbacks to Morgan.

Patton tried reloading his revolver, lifting it up before another shot hit the gun and blasted it out of his hand. He yelped in pain, holding his hand before checking to see the injury. His finger was bent, but still there, though it felt like it was covered in lava.

"Sh-shit," Virgil cursed. He looked down to see Remus gripping the grass in pain, letting out another sob as Roman poured some healing potion onto the wound, his hands shaking.

Hunters went to rush them, but Virgil raised one of his wings out of the cloak and flapped it, pushing them back with wind magic. Of course, the leader of the group lifted his rifle back up and aimed towards them, and he was too far away for Virgil to attack him with any magic.

He waited for what felt like a second too long, watching as the trigger was pulled back. The moment it was, Virgil used wind magic again and somehow managed to steer the bullet off course just enough that it only grazed his cheek.