Chapter 25: Aw, They're Both Nerds!

"Oh, and Kayda told us that when she packed fruit for Randsted, she made sure to put the oldest berries," Mrs. Miller told them with a small laugh at the table. "And I was like, that's genius!"

"At this rate they're going to stop business with us before we do," Logan said with a small smile, picking up a carrot piece with his fork hesitantly. "I suppose we'll need to find another town to sell our harvest to."

"I would prefer that, yeah," Patton agreed. "Especially with what happened last time they were here. I didn't think it would be possible to hate them more."

"At least Roman was in town," Mr. Miller told them. "How have those two been by the way?"

"Good I guess. Last week Virgil spent the night over at his house."

Logan stifled a laugh, "Wait, Virgil stayed overnight at Roman's house, someone he hasn't known for long. We are talking about your brother, right?"

"I mean, at that point it's almost been a month. Plus apparently Virgil knew Roman was going to have a bad day, he even picked up muffins for him. Though, he didn't tell me why Roman was having a bad day, or how he knew. But they're both okay now, they've both become really good friends."

"That's nice to hear! Roman's always been a delight whenever he comes by," Mrs. Miller explained. "He's always so fun to talk with, and he's given us a really nice bread recipe that one time, so good!"

Patton laughed, "Yeah, Virgil told me he's a good cook."

"Oh, he's cooked for your brother before?" Mrs. Miller put her hand under her chin. "Do tell more."

"Oh stop, only I can tease him about that. He gets all red and defensive, but he's always like that whenever I teased him about a boy. He did that with me and Logan before we started dating, it's only fair I get some payback."

"They would make such a cute couple. Our resident forest dweller and mystery child, well Virgil's a mystery to the rest of the town. At least where he came from is, everyone pretty much knows him at this point."

"Yeah, I remember when he first showed up everyone was all curious. Just showed up randomly one night, took mom forever to come up with a story." Patton grabbed the butter knife to spread some butter on his bread roll.

"Oh yeah, I remember that. They said that they were traveling not too far, and found him walking lost on the side of the road," Mr. Miller recounted.

"Yup, but really he just showed up one night. He was so shy and quiet back then."

"Guess not much has changed then," Logan commented.

"He's not as shy as he was back then. He pretty much avoided us, usually somewhere outside. He warmed up to me though," Patton said. "Everyone usually does."

"You're just so lovable and kind, it's hard not to!" Mrs. Miller told him, patting his head. "I'll always be thankful Logan got a good one."

Logan's face turned red. "Mother..."

"You're so sweet," Patton said, taking Logan's hand under the table. "Logan is the best, your son makes me so happy."

Logan's face burned brighter and he covered his face with his other hand. "Thank you, dear," he mumbled.

"Well if everyone finished their dinner, I can take the plates and you're free to go wherever it is you planned on going," Mrs. Miller said, already standing up and taking some plates.

"I'll help you with that, love," Mr. Miller offered, grabbing some of the dishes.

"Thank you for the meal, it was delicious as always," Patton complimented. "Eating the food you make is just the best."

"Thank you dear, I'll pack some for you to take back to Virgil. I know he must be tired after using so much magic on the crops today."

"I'm sure he'll appreciate a nice meal when he wakes up, even if it's reheated. He didn't push himself today so that's good."

"I would love to learn more on how his magic works," Mr. Miller said. "It's fascinating, having control over something that others can't seem to control."

"Indeed," Logan agreed. "If we're not needed, Patton and I will be taking our leave. We won't be back until late, so don't stay awake until we get back."

"Stay safe you two!" Mrs. Miller called from the kitchen as they started to leave.

"We will, good night!" Patton called back as he was pushed towards the door. Logan helped ease his chair down a ramp as they walked out in the cool night air. "So, did you have anywhere in particular that you wanted to take me?"

"Yes, though it's no fancy place."

"It doesn't have to be, wherever you take me I'm sure I'll love it." Patton sat back comfortably in his wheelchair.

"I hope you do." Logan continued to push him down the street. It was a long walk, the two of them talking comfortably. By the time they reached the edge of town, the stars were out and the moon was high. The alchemist stopped next to a bench, moving Patton's wheelchair next to it before sitting down at the end of the bench. He took Patton's hand and said, "I wanted to bring you here, just outside of town to watch the stars with me."

Patton smiled widely. "Spending time with your favorite person doing your favorite activity?"

"That's correct. I've been reading about constellations and wanted to show them to you. That one right there." He pointed to a constellation that looked like an upside down and sideways slingshot. "Those four stars are Sagitta. It starts with that lone star there, and goes down to that one before branching off and connecting with two more."

Patton watched as Logan traced the sky with his finger. "Oh, I only know the big dipper."

"The big dipper is actually part of the Ursa Major. That's Latin for greater bear, and there's another called Ursa Minor."

"Lesser bear?"

"That's correct." Logan took Patton's hand before pointing to Ursa Major. "If you look at the big dipper, the handle of the ladle would be the tail. Then the stars that make up the dip in the spoon connect with those three stars there, making the body. Under those are those six stars, making the legs."

"Oh that's so cute! And..." Patton pointed up at a bright star above the bear. "That's the north star, right?"

"That's correct."

Patton hummed. "You're so smart, I wish I knew as much as you do."

"I can teach you anything you want to know."

"I know. Oh! Does the north star connect to the little dipper?"

"That's correct, that's the very end of the handle. And the little dipper is-"

"Ursa Minor?!" Patton looked over at Logan in excitement.

The alchemist faltered for a moment, seeing the galaxy being reflected in Patton's eyes. He smiled warmly. "That's correct. See? You're very smart. Knowing things does not make you smart, it's taking that knowledge and applying it to other things that makes you smart."

"I wanna know more!" Patton took Logan's hand with both of his, pulling the other closer. "Teach me?"

"Gladly, that's why I brought you out here. I'm happy to see you enjoying it."

Patton nodded enthusiastically. "I love talking to you. You know how to say smart things without making me feel stupid."

"That's because you're not stupid." Logan turned back to the sky. "Now, do you know who Hercules is?"