Chapter 42: Of Course it's a Possum

CW: overwhelming feelings, anger and grief, it's very brief but I'm putting this just in case

Virgil's eyes kept flickering from the watering can in Roman's hand and the sketchbook in his own. He wore his necklace today, which he hasn't done in years, but he's been wanting to wear it more often.

"So, we never really talked about it but I was hoping we could go on our first official date somewhere soon?" Roman asked as he tended his garden.

"Oh, huh, I guess you're right," Virgil mused as he continued to draw the witch. "I didn't even realize that we haven't been on an official date yet. Let's go to Johnson's."

"Ooh, yes! We can order a nice dessert and then take a nice walk together!"

"Also, before we started dating he told me that if we have our first date at his bakery, then our order will be half off. He was mostly just teasing me but I'm going to hold him to his word." Virgil finished the watering can and moved on to putting details on the figure itself.

"What, were we the last people to know?"

"Nope, Mr. Miller was."

Roman laughed, a nice rich sound that made Virgil's chest feel warm. "That's true, he somehow didn't notice I suppose."

The fairy drew a fold in Roman's red jacket. "By the way, have you always had that jacket? I've never seen it before."

"Oh, this?" The witch lifted his arm. "It's actually my cloak, it has magic infused into it. Sorta like your necklace but with different magic."

Virgil put his hand over the purple stone. "What does it do?"

Roman set down his watering can. "This!" He grabbed the edges and tugged, instantly it turned back into his cloak that Virgil's used to seeing. "Or this." He tugged again and the cloak turned into a different jacket, a much thicker one. "It changes shape into a different clothing piece, but it's always the same color. It's more helpful than having a bunch of different coats." He tugged again and it changed back into a light weight coat. "I have it as a jacket in the garden cause it often gets caught on the plants."

"Yeah, that's definitely different from my necklace." Virgil hesitantly went back to drawing.

Roman sensed a bit of sadness from the fairy, but he just picked up his watering can. "I can sense the magic in the stone isn't yours. I'm guessing it's one of your parents?"

"Yeah, it's the only thing left I have of them. They had similar stones, and they were supposed to be able to find me with them no matter where I went." The fairy continued to draw, adding volume to the hair by drawing lines in it. He felt some guilt come from Roman. "Don't worry, I'm not upset that you asked. I just miss them sometimes."

"I know what you mean. I'm just happy that-" He cut himself off, looking up and into the woods. Darrell perked up from where he was laying next to Virgil, and the fairy became worried when he felt shock, guilt, anger, and a bunch of other emotions flash through the witch.

Before he could ask what was wrong, he felt it. Magic, coming from somewhere in the forest. It felt like two different kinds, both coming from the same direction.

"It-it can't... How..." Roman struggled to speak, dropping the watering can.

"Roman?" Virgil asked hesitantly.

"It's his magic... but he... He can't be here."

"Is everything okay? What's wrong?" Virgil set aside his sketchbook and pencil, standing up.

"Remus, he..." Anger flared up in the witch. "I can feel his magic, I know that's his magic. It must be the hunter who killed him. Darrell, stay here with Virgil." Roman started moving towards the magic, but before he could get far Virgil grabbed his arm and the fox was by their side in a second.