Chapter 64: Splitting Up Like Scooby Doo

CW: monster hunters, panic attack

Remus sat on a nearby log, a muffin in hand. There was a large table full of food for anyone to take, sweets, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and even some meats. Janus was eating an apple, and Kayden was eating another muffin, but Remus didn't take a bite of his own. He had a bad feeling that he just couldn't shake, like they were being watched.

"Well, I think everyone's set up now," Elliot said as they walked over, dusting their hands.

"Why do you think the vampires and werewolves came here?" Kayden asked. He was sitting in the grass, his prosthetic laying off to the side.

The witch looked over to the gorgon, not sure if they should tell the truth. "Um... well Kayden... the thing is-" he began, only to be interrupted by a loud screech from somewhere.

They all looked over to see Griffin running in front of Cynthia, both of them trying to get over there. Elliot held their arms out and caught the siren as she barreled into them, shaking with a small whine.

"Is everything okay? What is it?" they asked her.

She whimpered and tugged on their arm, pointing at the forest that was just a dark blur from where they were. Elliot looked out in confusion, then back at Cynthia and Griffin.

"I don't get it," they said.

Griffin squawked again, and Elliot was going to remind him that they can't understand him anymore when Kayden dropped his muffin in shock. They looked over to see the other three had paled, all showing different degrees of shock.

"The hunters are already here?" Janus hissed.

Elliot turned back to Cynthia. "Is that true?"

She nodded, tears sprouting in her eyes.

"We need to go warn the others, before-" Elliot's warning was spoken too late, the sound of a gunshot echoed in the air. The silence that had followed was suddenly filled with shouts and screams.

~~~

"What's going on out there?" Logan asked, walking over to the closed curtains. He peaked out as the sound of shouting grew. The street was empty, only making his anxiety grow worse.

They all flinched at the sound of gunshots and Logan pulled the curtain back, frowning as he stepped away.

"S-someth-thing's wr-wrong," Virgil whispered, curling into Roman. Darrell crawled onto his lap, trying to lick at his face to calm him down.

Patton jumped when there was a loud banging at the door. They all looked at each other in worry before Logan ran to the front, grabbing an umbrella from a stand next to the door. He looked in the keyhole before sighing in relief, opening the door.

Janus pushed his way in, shutting the door once inside. His eyes were wide with panic, an emotion he didn't often show.

"The hunters are already here!" he warned them. "They're attacking the camp ground, we need help!"

"We need to help our people!" Remy said, grabbing Emile's arm and pulling. "Don't just stand around, are you guys coming or not?"

Roman stood up, making Virgil's heart drop. "I'm coming," he told them.

"I need to go back for Remus and Kayden, I need to make sure they're alright. I was sent here to get you guys," Janus said.

"Let me get a proper weapon," Logan offered. But first he walked back to the living room, taking Patton's hand. "Hide here, and stay safe, okay dear?"

"I-I don't want to leave you again, what if you need help?" he asked.

"I'll be okay, but I don't want you to get hurt. I know it's hard, but you won't be able to fight. And someone needs to watch over Virgil."

"I-I-" the fairy tried to protest, looking back and forth at the others. He didn't want Roman to leave, he didn't want any of them to leave. The hunters couldn't be there, not so soon! It has to be something else.

"It's going to be okay, love," Roman told him, taking his hands and kissing his knuckles. "We'll be safe. We're not going to let them hurt you."

A tear slipped down Virgil's cheek, the panic in his chest still rising. "B-but th-they..."

"Just stay here for me, stay safe." The witch let go of his hand.

"Come on, Emile, we need to help the others," Remy said, opening the door and walking out with the vampire. He shifted and a giant gray wolf took his place. Emile climbed onto his back and the two were suddenly out of sight.

Logan pushed a bookshelf further from the wall, pulling out a pistol that they had kept hidden. "We'll be back, just stay here you two," he told Patton and Virgil.

"Wait," Patton begged, grabbing Logan's wrist as he passed. He pulled the alchemist down and kissed him, wrapping an arm around his neck. Logan sighed into the kiss, fighting his fear down. When they pulled away, Patton told him, "I love you."

"I love you too."

Janus waited at the door, watching all of them with a worried look in his eyes. As soon as Logan walked out, he looked over at Roman before leaving himself.

The witch sighed, not wanting to leave Virgil while he was so afraid. He looked over to Patton, who was fighting down tears. Their eyes met and the human nodded in understanding, neither of them saying a word.

"I'll be back, Virgil, I'll make sure everything will be okay," Roman told the fairy. Virgil's hands were shaking, his face was pale and tears were in his eyes. "Darrell, stay here with them."

"Pl-please d-d-don't g-go," he begged. "I-I ca-can't-t lo-lose yo-you."

"You won't lose me, I'm going to be okay." Roman walked closer to him, Patton moving closer as well.

"B-but-"

Roman leaned down and kissed him, wiping away tears with his hand. He pulled away, tightening the red cloak around Virgil. "Just hold onto this for me, okay? It's special to me."

Virgil let out a sob, curling in on himself as Darrell whined. He held a hand out to Roman, who took it and pressed another kiss into his palm. "Ple-please be-be s-safe?"

"I promise. I took down a whole base of hunters, I'm not going to let them hurt me." He stood up taller, letting go of Virgil's hand. He looked like he was going to say more, but stopped and shook his head, turning away.

Patton took Virgil's hand as he let out another sob. They both watched as the witch walked out the door, closing it behind him. The shouts and gunfire were muffled once again.