Chapter 18: Ooh A Little Backstory Teaser

CW: implied death, blood, nightmare, small panic attack

"Virgil! There you are!" A woman shouted, rushing over to the small fairy who was crouched over a river. Her brown hair was braided and fell over her shoulder, she wore a white blouse and blue jeans. Her wings were a similar brown to her hair, but had white spots all over the feathers.

"Mommy!" the purple fairy giggled. "Look, there's fish in the stream!" He pointed to the small black guppies, swimming down the current.

"We were worried about you, dear, you've been missing for an hour!"

The younger fairy's smile dropped and was replaced with a guilty look. "I know, but I couldn't find the others! They ran off without me, and I didn't know where I was. So I did what you always told me to do when I get lost, stay in one place and wait for you to find me."

"It's not your fault, those kids should have watched you since they decided to play so far away. We were all just scared since we're not too far from a human settlement. You did a very good job."

"You'll find me, I know you and Daddy always will!" Virgil held onto the small purple stone that was tied around his neck. "You told me that as long as I have this, then I'll never be lost! I just have to stay put, and wait for you."

His mother bent down and hugged him, and the younger could feel something cloudy but electric coming from her. "Yes, and hopefully you'll never have to wait for long."

Virgil hugged her back, holding on tight. He started to get an ominous feeling that something bad was about to happen, but his smile didn't waver. "I'll always be with you and Daddy and everyone else! Nothing can tear us apart."

His mother pulled away from the hug, and Virgil opened his eyes. He expected to still see her there, but she was gone. He didn't hear the stream and turned around to see that his surroundings had changed. He was still in the forest, but now he was in his family's tent. There was shouting and a lot of commotion outside, but no one else was in the tent with him.

"Mommy?" he asked, confusion quickly morphing into fear.

"Virgil!" He turned around in time just to see his father. He had black hair, his wings just like his sons. Fear was written all over his face.

"What's going on? Where's mommy?" His parents were supposed to be on watch, and they were supposed to be together at all times. Why wasn't his mother there?

"We need to leave now." His father quickly came in, grabbing his son's hand and pulling him.

"Wait, we need to pack up! What about our things?"

"We don't have the time!" His father stopped only long enough to pick Virgil up, now running. "Martha!"

"Jack!" His mother rushed over, holding a spear in her hand. A red liquid was splashed on her face... That wasn't paint. "Get him out of here, I need to help the others."

"But-"

"Now!"

Virgil's eyes widened when he saw a group of unfamiliar people run out from between trees or the tents, and he saw the rest of the colony fighting or running away. A man ran towards them, holding a net.

"Mommy!" he shouted in warning, reaching out. He saw her turn around, but his father's wing blocked the view and covered the two of them.

Virgil sat up in bed, a cold sweat covering him as he gasped for air. His wings curled around him as he brought his knees to his chest. He rubbed his face to wake up, trying to slow his breathing and heartbeat.