Chapter 58: Everyone Loves Kayda

Elliot smiled as they scratched Griffin's head, the griffin purring in delight. They were outside, watching as people packed up. They were quick and efficient, some creatures even helped including Cynthia. She was helping an older man who had a lot of muscle and was tall. He was being really gentle with her but didn't treat her like a child.

"He's cute," a voice behind them said, making them turn around. Oh, it was that woman from earlier, Kayda was her name right? "What's his name?"

"Oh, Griffin. He didn't have a name when I met him, and I'm not the best at coming up with names," Elliot admitted.

"Remind me not to suggest you the next time someone's having a baby," Kayda laughed, folding her arms. "But I feel like the name fits him. How'd you meet him?"

"Well I met him a long time ago. He was a little baby, lost from his nest, and I was... maybe twenty? At least in my twenties I think? He's actually my familiar, sorta like what Darrell is to Roman."

"Don't familiars have some sort of power? What's Griffins?"

"Well, he can't die. At least not of old age, and I don't know if his life is tied to mine or something, but he's long past his life expectancy. His power is one that is complicated and hard to figure out."

"Can I?" Kayda held a hand out to Griffin.

Griffin didn't let Elliot answer and instead leaned into her hand, purring softly.

"He likes scratches," Elliot explained. "And after all those decades being stuck in that cell, well, he deserves some love."

Kayda's smile became sad. "I hope you know that all of you are welcome to stay in Matela for as long as you want. I don't know where you would stay, or if you want to, but we'll help you figure it out."

"Thanks, I guess I'll see what happens. Elliot looked back to the carriage where Virgil and Roman were in. The back door was wide open and they could see the two of them, Remus with them. The fairy was sitting up, leaning against Roman's chest half asleep as Remus healed his wrists. "How did Virgil meet you all?"

"I honestly don't know the whole story, or the real one anyway. But a family in our town, actually on a farm ten miles from our town, somehow found him and adopted him. None of us knew about his wings until a few days ago, I guess he kept them hidden and I honestly don't blame him. He was nine then, and he quickly became part of the town. I still remember him being really quiet and shy, always holding onto his adopted mother's hand or only speaking to his adopted brother, Patton. It didn't take long for everyone to know him, and we all cared about him the same way we cared about everyone else who lived there."

"That's... really sweet."

"Well.. when the monster hunters came to town, no one was happy to see them. Then they took his cloak off, and his wings were revealed, and then... they took him." Tears gathered in her eyes. "We all fought, Hell I almost broke my hand when I punched one in the jaw a bit too hard. But they had guns, and while some of us do none of us had them in hand. It didn't take long to come up with a plan to save him but... while we were preparing his brother told me that he was going to show me his wings. Willingly show me his wings. I wonder what would have happened if he just stayed home that day."

Elliot smiled. "He's lucky to have a town that cares so much about him. Not many would, if he lived anywhere else then he probably would have been given to monster hunters right away."

"They're all idiots then. Virgil might act tough, but he has a heart as big as his brothers, and that's saying something."

"Where is his brother? I don't think I've met him."

Kayda sighed sadly, "He couldn't come. His legs... they're too weak to let him walk far. He really wanted to come, but he knew he wouldn't be able to help. Only abled adults were able to come, and he's disabled, so he had to stay behind. He's going to be so upset to see the state that Virgil's in. Hunters of any kind have hurt them both way too much."

"I wish I could have talked to him a little more before they did that to him," Elliot said, hugging themself slightly. "But he was really scared, and none of us could blame him. I'm just happy that he has people who cared enough to save him."

The human was silent for a moment before saying, "All monster hunters need to be stopped. The moment we get home, I'm going to call a town meeting, and we're going to write to the king. We'll spread the news of what happened, and we'll try to get the rest of the kingdom's support. He'll have to listen if a lot of people are fighting for it."

"Monster hunters have a lot of support, so good luck."

"I know we won't stop until monster hunters are outlawed. Even if the king for some reason sends an army to stop our rebellion, it'll spark a million others. We can't be the only town that's against what monster hunters do."

"Well, make sure the information is spread far and wide. A lot of people will try to stop it. And more importantly, be careful. That much attention is bound to make some not so nice eyes turn to your town."

Kayda smoothed down some of Griffin's feathers. "I should go help pack up, we're almost done. We should reach town today, you should be safe there, for a little bit anyway. If any hunters survived, and I hope none did, then they'll go for help."

"Hey, you guys saved us. The least we could do is stay to help fight for you, should the need arise."

"You don't need to do that, but thank you anyway."

"It's not like we have anywhere else to go, so might as well. Plus, I really want Cynthia to live in a safe place." Elliot looked over to the siren, who's eye caught a bird. She smiled wide and waved to them, before picking up another box. She struggled for a bit before Logan came over and helped her lift it. "She was way too young when they first brought her in, probably a teenager."

"Is she like a daughter to you?"

The witch looked down, their eyes sad. "Yeah, she and Griffin are the closest family I have left."