Chapter 66: Everyone is Wrong About Patton and Virgil Being Safe

CW: monster hunters, burns, death (still monster hunters)

Logan looked out from the corner where he was hiding just long enough to shoot a hunter in the shoulder. He pulled back into cover as several shots were taken at him. He was running out of time, he couldn't just pick them off one by one like this! Soon enough, they're going to rush him, and he won't be able to do anything about it.

He had been separated from Janus when they had seen the fires. Janus went to go back to Remus and Kayden, and Logan was going to put out any fires that he could. Of course he ran into a bunch of hunters, the houses around them being put on fire by them.

He needed back up, he couldn't take care of this by himself! He was going to be killed, he told Patton that he was going to be okay! Being dead was the opposite of okay!

Slowing his breathing down, he reloaded the pistol. The more hunters he can take down before they take him down, the better. He moved out from behind the corner, ducking as bullets went over him. He shot another hunter and went to shoot one more before a gust of wind blew past him, small pebbles hitting him.

The hunters ducked down, some looking around in confusion. One of them picked up a pebble, finding that it wasn't a pebble at all but a seed, dew covering it. Then they all exploded with growth, the plants covering all of the hunters as they screamed.

A loud laugh behind him told Logan who was responsible as he looked back to see Remus. Janus sighed with a roll of his eyes, but didn't say anything.

"Guess we saved your butt! What the Hell were you planning to do, running into gunfire like that?" Remus asked, his hands covered in blue magic as he pulled water from the plants. Instantly they withered and died, falling down.

"I-I wasn't running into gunfire!" Logan argued.

"Sure looked like it to me." The witch raised his hands, sprinkling water all over the fires and making them slowly die down. "The hunters are pushing us to the middle of town, we can't let them. Go to the center of town, children and injured are hiding there. Get them out of here, take them somewhere safe."

Logan frowned as he tried to think of where to go. "The closest building isn't for ten miles away! Children and those injured will never make it there!"

"Then go help them where they're at now. If they can't move, keep them safe."

"I'm just one person, and I'm running low on bullets."

"Then I'll go with you," Janus offered.

"Wha..." Remus responded.

"Kayden is there right now. While you're out here fighting the hunters, I'll go help Logan protect the others. I'll be safe there, and you can still help."

The witch sighed, hesitating for a moment before nodding. "Stay safe, snakey."

"Go kill some monsters for me and our son." Janus took his hand and gave Remus a kiss on the cheek. He pulled away and looked at Logan before turning and running off.

Logan quickly followed, taking the lead in no time as they rushed towards the center of town. It wasn't too far, it was where all the stands were. Though now the food was mixed with bandages and gauzes, the place was being set up for the injured.

Kayda was wrapping up Sidney's arm, a burn half visible. The little girl bit her lip to keep from crying, but tears still spilled down her cheeks regardless as she squeezed her mother's hand.

"It's okay now, the boo boo will disappear," Kayda cooed.

"You're being such a strong girl for us," Melany encouraged.

"Why-why are those people here again?" Sidney sniffed, making Logan's heart break as he overheard the conversation. He walked over as the two women continued to comfort her.

"We don't know, but we'll scare them away just like last time."

"Are they-they gonna take Virgil again?"

"No," Logan told her, kneeling down in front of her. "No, we won't let them take anyone ever again."

Kayda finished wrapping the bandage and stood up. "There you go sweetheart, just stay here with your mother. I need to go help some more people."

"Thank you Miss Kayda," Sidney mumbled, hugging her mom.

Logan stood up as well and followed the other. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Yeah, go around and get everyone some water, okay? Pretty much everyone here is from the burned part of town," she explained. "Oh, and where's Patton and Virgil?"

"They back at my home, I told them to hide."

"Hopefully they're okay then, some hunters are going around with dogs. They're probably looking for any magic creatures that are hiding."

"That's... worrying. My house is covered in plants in herbs, so hopefully their scent will be covered."

"Maybe, but for now I need to worry about the injured that are here." Kayda picked up a nearby first aid and started making her way towards someone else.

Logan looked over to see Janus talking to Kayden, who was sitting next to Cynthia, Elliot, and Griffin. The centaur had tears streaking down his face, but seemed to be calming down.

"Logan!" he heard a familiar voice called.

He turned just in time as someone ran right into him, pulling him into a hug. "Oh my sweet little boy, are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"Mom! I'm fine," he reassured her, pulling away and smiling at his dad.

"Where are the others, are they okay?" Mr. Miller asked.

"Everyone went to help except for Patton and Virgil. They're back at the house now, I told them to hide and stay safe."

"I hope they're okay, Virgil must be upset."

"That's quite the understatement, but I'm sure Patton is taking care of him now. As long as they're safe, we can focus on others. Our main focus should be keeping hunters away from this area-"

As if on cue, someone screamed.