Chapter 21: Miss Kayda Ships It

The fairy rubbed the sleep out of his eyes as he walked down the street, a basket hanging from his shoulder. They ran out of food so he went out to the market to pick some up, though he was itching to go home and take a nap. He knew that the moment he did, Patton would let him sleep in his room since the exhaustion was clear. He just had to buy some food first.

It took forever for him to fall asleep the night before. He couldn't help but think about the conversation he had with Roman. Obviously he crossed a line when he tried to continue talking about whatever it is the witch feels guilty about, and because of that his mind wouldn't let him sleep. He really hoped Roman wasn't still angry with him.

And when he did finally manage to fall asleep, he had nightmares about losing his parents, both fairy and human. Whether it was about the hunters from Randsted taking them away, or monster hunters, they both haunted his dreams apparently. Needless to say, he wasn't well rested.

Virgil made his way to Kayda's stand, Patton didn't ask for any fruit but that was probably because he didn't want his brother to stay out longer than he needed to. The fairy still wanted to pick some up though, besides, sweets always made Virgil feel better, including sugary fruit.

He smiled when he saw Kayda at her stand. She was putting away some coins that a previous customer must have given her before looking up and spotting him. She gave him a warm smile as he made his way closer.

"Virgil! Good to see you dear," she greeted. "I haven't seen you in a hot minute, have you been okay?"

"Uh well, I've mostly been resting but I'm much better than when you last saw me," he told her. Even though it had been a week, he hadn't been in town since the incident with the hunter. He mainly wanted to avoid the gossip, but he's also been spending more time with Roman whenever he wasn't working in the fields.

"You do look much better, I'm glad. I swear, those Randsteds are just begging us to stop doing business with them. Let me tell you, no one was happy to hear that they tried to hurt you."

"I thought my ears were burning this past week. Not gonna lie, I'm not too happy that people have been talking."

"Well, people love gossiping. Oh, by the way, can I ask... You and the scarlet man, Roman, was it?" Virgil nodded. "Are you two friends? He knew your name and said you two were, but I'd rather take your word for it."

Virgil rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, we are, I guess. We met a while ago in the woods."

"Is it true that he's a witch?"

"If he is then I wouldn't know. We haven't been friends for very long, just over two weeks now." Has it really only been that long? It feels like it's been way longer, that he's known Roman for at least a month. Guess they've spent a lot of time together, practicing magic and all. "I don't think magical creatures would feel safe enough telling everyone about their magic."

"That's true I suppose. It would be cool if he was though, maybe make this town a bit more interesting even if we wouldn't let word get out from Matela. That would put him in danger."

The fairy blinked in surprise. "You wouldn't be afraid if he was?"

"Why would I be? He's helped some of us when we got really sick, and to be honest I'm surprised he hasn't teamed up with the Millers. He already grows plenty of herbs for them, and it would make their work a whole lot easier."

"I-I guess that's true. It's nice to know you feel that way, not a lot of people are accepting of magic."

"Well you know what, those people can go fuck themselves." Kayda put her hands on her hips. The fairy laughed slightly at her language, it was rare to hear her curse. "It's cruel what those monster hunters do to them, and honestly the trope of making witches or fairies antagonists in stories is so overdone and boring."

"Right?" Virgil laughed, smiling brightly. It felt like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Miss Kayda didn't hate monsters! He wished that he's known sooner.

"Well, witch or not, I'm still glad that you two met. He seems like a really sweet boy, strong and brave too! Plus good looking, are you sure the two of you are just friends?"

"Oh my god, MIss Kayda, we just met two weeks ago!"

"And yet you've hit it off so nicely! Who would have thought, our sweet little Virgil and the mysterious scarlet man."

Virgil blushed brightly at the way she worded it. "First off, I'm not that sweet. Second off, we're just friends."

"I never said you were anything else," Miss Kayda said, giving him a cheeky smile.

"You need to stop trying to hook me up with people, it's not going to work."

"Whatever you say..." Kayda shrugged. "Just tell me when you finally get yourself someone. I might talk about it to Mrs. Miller but..."

"Moving on!"

"Alright, I get it. What can I do for you today, sweetie?" Miss Kayda leaned against the stand.

"Two baskets of strawberries and one of blueberries. I'm paying for everything this time, don't try me."

"Ooh, someone thinks they have a choice. Well, buddy boy, I hate to break it to you but I make the rules here." She pulled out four baskets, two strawberries and two blueberries. "Six bronze pieces please."

Virgil gave her a playful glare before pulling out a silver coin. "This should be enough for all four. I really need to get home, so don't bother pulling out any change."

"Let me spoil you," Miss Kayda complained, but still took the coin.

The fairy put the small baskets into the bigger basket that he had set down. "You always spoil me, but we have plenty of money. If you want to give me something for free, then it has to be a gift."

"But they are gifts! Gifts for my favorite customer."

"I don't want you giving away all your fruit for nothing in return. Thank you though, and have a good day."

"You too dear, and be sure to get some sleep! I can see the bags under your eyes."

"I will," Virgil told her, walking back to where Cherry and the carriage waited for him. It wasn't that late in the day, maybe he'll stop by Roman's for a bit. He can take a nap later, he didn't want to leave the witch waiting.