Chapter 34: Johnny Knows What's Up

Roman put the last empty crate onto the carriage before he helped Virgil close it up. "All ready to take her home now," he said, clicking the lock.

"Thank you again for helping, Roman," Patton said. "You really didn't have to."

"It's no problem, I don't mind helping out," the witch replied.

"Guess you do have some muscle on you," Virgil teased. "I wasn't too sure since for all I know, you use magic to help with everything."

"I'm not that lazy! I still keep myself in shape!"

"Well we closed up early, sold the last of it," Patton said. "We still have some time to ourselves before the end of the day, and honestly I'm too tired to go on a carriage ride, it's too bumpy and long."

"You can stay over at my house," Logan offered.

"I don't want to leave Virgil all by himself to offload the crates."

"I can help!" Roman offered. "If that's alright with you two, that is."

"I don't see why not," Virgil agreed.

"Oh! And so you're not lonely you can stay over with me and Darrell."

"Darrell and I," Logan corrected.

"That sounds nice, but it's up to Patton," Virgil said, looking over at his brother.

Patton smiled. "Hey, it's your life, not mine. But if you do decide to do that, then I'll have no problem staying over at the Millers. Plus I'll get more cookies!"

"Alright then, Darrell's going to be excited."

"Can we get some muffins first?" Roman asked with puppy eyes.

Virgil shrugged. "Sure, Mrs. Johnson should still have his shop opened."

"Yes!" The witch pumped his fist. He went over to Cherry and petted her maine. "Let's get you in your reins then, dear girl."

"I should brush her when we get home."

"Have fun!" Patton told them as both he and Logan started leaving.

"I'll see you tomorrow, bye!"

"Johnson's, Johnson's!" Roman started chanting.

Virgil took his hand with a small laugh, reaching over to grab the reins. "Okay you weirdo, let's go."

"Yay! Muffins!"

The witch helped tie Cherry to the carriage, making sure nothing was too tight for her before they both climbed on. Virgil took the reins as Roman bounced in excitement. They were pulled down the road, and in no time they saw the blue and yellow sign that read "Johnson's Pastries" with hearts and sparkles decorating it.

After tying some rope to a nearby post, Roman practically dragged Virgil inside. There were some tables set up, and a few people sat together talking with different cakes and desserts in front of them. Behind the counter were two people, a young girl who looked like she was a teenager, and an older man.

The girl had her red hair tied back in a ponytail, brown glasses sat in front of hazel eyes. She wore a floral shirt and blue jeans, a green braided bracelet on her wrist. She was pretty skinny and had tall lengthy arms, freckles dotting her pale skin.

The older man was the exact opposite, though much taller. He was muscular and his skin was dark. The full beard and mustache was the only hair on his head, and his dark eyes held a kind twinkle in his dark eyes. The apron he had on was stained with several colors and flour covered his hands.

"Virgil! And the famed scarlet man," Mr. Johnson greeted with a deep voice.

"You know my name, Mr. Johnson," Roman reminded him. "This isn't the first time I've come here."

"Yes but it's always a treat when you do, and you know you can call me Johnny."

"You tell everyone that and yet no one does," Virgil pointed out.

"I'm just about to give up at this point. So, what can I do for you two?" Mr. Johnson asked as he clapped his hands together.

"Oh, can I get a chocolate muffin?" Roman asked.

"And I'll get a banana nut muffin, both of them to go," Virgil ordered.

"Alright, chocolate and banana nut muffins coming up," Mr. Johnson said. "Silvia?"

"Got it," the girl said, reaching over to grab a box before moving to the muffins on the racks.

"That'll be two silver please."

"Okay, oh shit," Virgil cursed as he looked for the coins. "I left the money on the carriage. I'll be-"

"I got it," Roman offered before rushing out.

"It's in my bag!"

Mr. Johnson laughed, "He's lively."

"He really likes your muffins. I got some for him a while ago and it seems like he's hooked." Virgil turned back to him, a smile on his face.

The older man rested his arm on the counter. "So, when do you plan on asking him out?"

Virgil's face turned red and he hissed, "Johnson!"

"I'm teasing!" He laughed hard. "But seriously, I would gladly welcome your first date here. Your order will even be half off."

"He's just a friend, I-I don't feel that way about him." As he said it, the fairy felt his face heat up more and more at the obvious lie.

Johnson hummed in disbelief but didn't press. "Well, even if it's not with him my offer still stands. Only if the first date is here, that is."

"What is it with older people pushing for younger people to get a partner?"

"It's like a love story unfolding in front of our eyes. You'll understand when you're older and start teasing younger people about their crushes."

"Again, not a crush."

"Whatever you say, kid."

Virgil folded his arms while he rolled his eyes. "We haven't known each other for long, just a few months."

"A few months is still a long time, and everyone's been talking about you two. You two are hardly ever apart from each other. Plus you smile whenever he's with you, wide smiles too! Smiles used to be rare for you."

The fairy glared at him, his face still red. The door behind him opened and Johnson smiled as Roman came back up.

"Alright, two silvers," Roman said, pulling the coins out before giving the pouch to Virgil. "I can pay you back later, okay?"

"You don't need to do that," Virgil told him, tying the pouch onto his belt. "I have more money than you."

"I guess I'll pay you back by making dinner then. I've been wanting to try a new fish recipe that I found in a cookbook, I'll let you judge it."

"Such a gentleman," Johnson commented, smiling at Virgil who blushed more.

"Here we go then," Silvia said as she placed the box of muffins down on the counter.

"Thank you," Roman told her, handing her the coins as he took the box. He turned and smiled brightly at Virgil, who was trying to calm the red on his face down as discreetly as possible, keeping a hand on his cheek as he hugged himself with his other arm. He smiled at the witch to keep him from worrying, hoping his face wasn't too red.

"Thank you for your business," Mr. Johnson said as Silvia put the coins away in a drawer. "I do hope to see you two come back again."

"Of course! We'll see you later then!" Roman took Virgil's hand. "Let's go, I'm sure Darrell is waiting for us. He's going to be happy that you're coming over."

"Bye," Virgil told Johnson and Silvia before turning back to Roman. He could feel the joy radiating from the witch, just joy. Roman didn't feel the same way, so Virgil will just have to get over this secret crush.