Chapter 56: Dang it, One Escaped

CW: blood, pain, fever, burns, and violent deaths (goodbye hunters, for now)

As soon as he realized that they weren't going to win, the hunter Jack Davis quickly ran away and to where the horses were kept. Some would call him a coward, and they were probably right, but someone had to warn others of what happened!

He had to live to get away and warn others of this, he needed to get back up. He recognized a lot of people from that town, Matela, so obviously they were going to go back there once they were done destroying everything. Davis already knew just who to go to, one of the greatest monster hunters there was, Jacob Clay. He was a great strategist, he would know what to do.

So Davis jumped onto a horse and ran, the sounds of the fight quickly fading behind him. Sure he felt bad for leaving all of his fellow hunters behind, but they were all going to die anyway. He couldn't allow another break out like this to happen again.

~~~

Virgil groaned in pain as he woke up once more. He was ready to feel worse than before, not being able to remember much, but he actually felt... kinda better? He still couldn't move, and everything felt like it was on fire, but that sharp pain on his side was gone and so were some other small duller ones.

He felt a hand touch his forehead and flinched, tensing up as he waited for someone to hurt him. There was a soft shushing noise, and he hesitantly opened his eyes. Of course, he couldn't believe them the moment he saw Kayda. That couldn't be her, there's no way!

"Shh, it's going to be okay dear," she cooed. "Everything's okay now."

"He's awake?" a voice asked. Elliot came into view, carrying a box.

"I think so, do you think you can get me a clean washcloth and some water? His fever isn't going down." Kayda took her hand away from Virgil's forehead.

"K... Kayd-da?" Virgil struggled to ask, his eyes threatening to close again.

"I'm here, baby, you're safe now. I'm not going to let anyone hurt you again, none of us are."

"R-Ro..." Virgil struggled to take a deep breath, it felt like his lungs weren't working with him.

"He-he's going to come back, don't worry. Just focus on resting, we'll handle everything else, I promise."

Elliot came back with a washcloth and a canteen of water, quickly handing them over to Kayda. She poured some water on the washcloth before setting the canteen aside, folding the cloth and putting it on Virgil's head. He let out a broken sigh of relief the moment the cold water touched his burning skin.

His skin was a sickly pale, except for his cheeks that were flushed red. The bandages around his arms have been changed, medicine being carefully spread across the burns. The smaller burns on his torso had also been treated, clean bandages replacing the older ones.

Kayda picked up the canteen again and asked, "Do you think you can drink some water?"

It took a moment for Virgil to answer, trying to take deep breaths, but he managed to say, "Pl-please?"

Kayda carefully lifted his head slightly and let some water trickle into his mouth from the canteen. It was painfully slow to Virgil, who was beyond dehydrated at this point, but it was better than nothing. The water certainly soothed his throat.

Elliot held their arm awkwardly before walking over to where Cynthia and Griffin were. The two of them were sitting against a carriage, Griffin curling around Cynthia who leaned against him.

The moment Elliot sat down next to them, Cynthia grabbed their arm and pulled them into a hug. They sighed softly, holding the siren closer.

"It's okay now, we're going to be fine," they promised.