Chapter 47: Well There He Goes

CW: blood, kidnapping, passing out, a giant fight (almost a riot) involving several people including bystanders

Virgil's day started out fine. He could still feel the joy coming from Roman when he was walking to town, and that made him happy. Maybe he should head over to the witch's house later in the day, but first he had to get food since they were low on it.

Besides, tomorrow was Saturday and Miss Kayda was supposed to come over. For some reason, he wasn't nervous about it. If anything, he was excited! Kayda had shown him nothing but love and support ever since they met, and she was a very understanding person, so why would she feel any different about him if she knew he was a fairy?

For a moment though, Virgil started to get anxious about something. It took him a moment to realize that he was actually feeling Roman's worry. Was everything okay with him? Maybe Remus told him something worrying. Once Virgil's done buying food, he's making his way to Roman's house as soon as possible.

But for now he made his way to Kayda's stand, wanting to see a friendly and happy face. His purple necklace rested against his chest, and he tried focusing on the magic in it to keep his anxiety down. Once her stand was in view however, he became more worried since Miss Kayda seemed upset about something.

She was talking to Mr. Johnson about something, both of them frowning. They didn't look upset at each other, just upset in general. Actually, now that Virgil was thinking about it the town seemed more gloomy today, but why? There was a lot of tension in the air, and everyone seemed upset. Did someone get hurt?

He tried to calm himself down, noticing Roman's worry wasn't going away. He didn't want to make the witch panic even more, so he had to stay calm.

"Hey Miss Kayda, Mr. Johnson," he greeted, walking over to the stand.

"Oh, hey Virge," Miss Kayda replied, a small smile forming on her face as a greeting. "Roman and Patton not with you today?"

"No, I'm just here to buy some food. You're still coming over tomorrow night, right?"

"Of course sweetie, I'm excited for dinner with you all." And it was true, Virgil could feel her excitement, but anger and worry clouded it.

"Is... everything okay? Everyone seems upset today," Virgil asked, looking over to Mr. Johnson before looking back at Kayda.

The older woman sighed, making Virgil worry more. "Well...-"

Before she could say much more, there was a loud barking coming from somewhere making Virgil jump. Panic rose above everything else, and he unconsciously moved closer to Kayda's stand.

He looked over and saw several men dressed in uniform, half of them holding onto dog leashes as bloodhounds tugged and pulled in their direction, all of them had guns on their backs or in their hands. Virgil couldn't take in much more information on the men since he saw a black and red marking on their chest. The outline looked like a shield, but inside were bars and behind was a phoenix, with a start Virgil remembered the first time he saw that symbol. It was during the night he lost his parents, his family, his whole colony.

One of the men pulled out a whistle and blew on it, making the dogs stop barking, but the group of men made their way over.

Kayda growled slightly with a roll of her eyes. "Monster hunters, they came into town last night."

Mr. Johnson folded his arms as he watched them walk over, clearly trying not to make a scene. "What the hell do they want with us?"

Virgil remained silent, almost hiding behind the bigger man. He felt his hands start to shake and his knees become weak with fear. His mind was buzzing and he was begging for the hunters to just walk past them.