Chapter 39: The Thing Everyone's Been Waiting For

"He was just running around and wasn't paying attention to where he was going, and then he fell into the stream," Roman recalled with a laugh. "Darrell was completely soaked, and wasn't very happy."

Virgil hummed, half asleep as he hugged the fox closer. The two were cuddled on the forest floor together. "Good thing you have the magic to dry him."

Roman smiled at the sight of the two of them. They were at the flower garden, Roman sitting back and Virgil laying on the floor. "First Darrell rushed me to confess to you, and now he's stealing my boyfriend! What an unbelievable fox."

Darrell barked at him, making the fairy lightly shush him as his eyes fluttered closed.

"Don't worry, Patton teased me before I even told him I liked you," Virgil mumbled with his eyes still closed. "Actually, before I even knew I liked you myself."

Roman slighted lightly as he rolled his eyes. "Okay, get up."

"But I'm comfortable, why do I need to get up?"

"Cause you're falling asleep on me!" The witch stood up, walking over and offering a hand to him. "Come on, dance with me."

"Dance? With no music? That's weird."

"We can dance without it, come on! Let's party!"

Virgil sighed, looking up at his boyfriend who was smiling brightly. A small smile tugged at his lips as he rolled his eyes, but he took Roman's hand and allowed his boyfriend to pull him up. Roman took Virgil's free hand and placed it on his own hip before moving his own hand onto the other's shoulder.

"And now, we dance!" he said, moving Virgil along with the silent beat, making the two waltz in a circle.

The fairy laughed at his ridiculousness. "This feels so weird."

"That's because we need to be on time! Focus on nothing but each other! Are you ready?"

"For- woah!" Virgil grabbed onto the witch's arms as Roman grabbed his waist and lifted him into the air. He flapped his wings to keep his balance and Darrell barked at them, making Roman laugh.

He set the fairy down and their hands went back to where they were as they continued to waltz in a circle. "See? You're wide awake now!"

"Oh yeah?" Virgil smiled at him, trying his best not to be suspicious. Which, considering Roman knew everything he felt, was a difficult task.

"What are you planning?" The witch squinted his eyes at him.

Virgil looked over to Darrell with a small smile, who was sitting up and watching them at that point. Then before Roman could let go and back away, Virgil pulled him close and flapped his wings hard, using wind magic to push them into the air.

Roman shouted in surprise and hugged him closer, hearing the branches move out of the way as Virgil's giant wings continued to fly them up higher and higher.

The fairy spun them around with a laugh, keeping a tight grip on Roman to keep him from falling. Slowly the witch became more comfortable and looked up, looking down at the forest before looking up and seeing Matela. The town didn't look much bigger than his pinky finger, and he wondered for a moment if anyone could see them. If they did, then they probably looked like a giant bird from far away.

Roman looked back at Virgil, who was smiling wide in joy.

"Wide awake now?" the fairy teased.

"Haha, very funny," Roman replied, but they both knew that he enjoyed it. He wrapped his legs around Virgil so he wouldn't fall off as they rose higher and higher into the clouds.

Roman felt the mist on his face as they flew through, the water gathering on him as the air got thinner. He slowed his breathing and Virgil kept a steady pace so the pressure wasn't sudden for them, though he stayed low enough for them to breathe.

"Well you wanted to dance," The fairy said before spinning them around in the air, making Roman shout and hold onto him tighter.

The witch's hair fell into his eyes, damp from the clouds. After a moment, he hesitantly reached out, using his magic to grab the water in the clouds and make the mist trail after them. It spun like a spring when they spun, and dipped where Virgil made them dip.

Virgil laughed at what he was doing, but loved the wonder that was in the witch's eyes. He spun a bit harder than Roman expected, causing him to grab onto him with both hands again and look at him in surprise. Their eyes were locked and Virgil slowed down.

Roman tried to swallow his nervousness and slowly leaned forward. Virgil realized what he was doing and leaned in with him, hovering in one spot in the air. He felt the witch's lips press into his, the wind magic swirling around them as they were lowered to the ground.

They pulled away just before their feet touched the ground, staring at each other with amazement in their eyes. Both could feel the love coming from the other, smiling wide as they continued to stare into each other's eyes.

Their attention was finally pulled away by a small yip as Darrell ran towards them, running around in a circle. Roman laughed as he moved his hands to hold Virgil's, looking back at the fairy.

"That was our first kiss," Virgil pointed out, slightly out of breath.

Darrell barked in excitement, jumping up high in joy.

Roman smiled so wide it hurt. "Yeah, and Darrell's excited about it too," he said, letting go of one of Virgil's hands to scratch the fox. "He thinks of us as family, and has been waiting for this apparently."

"He wasn't the only one." The fairy lightly touched his lips with the tips of his fingers, still in a happy daze.

Roman pulled his hand back, putting it on Virgil's waist. The moment he stopped petting Darrell, the fox started to run around, tearing through some flowers. The witch laughed some more before pulling Virgil into a hug. "I'm so thankful for you, I hope you know that."

Virgil purred as he leaned into the hug. "You have no idea how thankful I am for you, I care about you so much."

The witch let go, bending down before scooping the fairy up. Virgil shouted in surprise and kept his arms wrapped around Roman's neck as the witch smiled brightly.

"Oh wow, you're a lot lighter than I thought," he commented, bouncing Virgil slightly who blushed a bright red.

"You're a weirdo, but I love you," the fairy blurred out before he could stop himself.

Roman smiled even brighter. "I know, I love you too. Can I kiss you again?"

Virgil nodded, leaning in as he adjusted his hands to cradle the back of Roman's head. The kiss was a small one, and when they pulled away they touched their foreheads together.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to me, Virgil. I am never letting you go."