Chapter 50: Wow Roman's Falling Apart

CW: depression, refusal to eat and rest, a panic attack at the end

Roman was not okay. In fact, he was many things but okay was none of them. Physically? Maybe, if you ignore the fact that he's barely eaten or slept within the last 24 hours. Mentally? He was an absolute fucking mess.

The utter terror he can feel from Virgil coming in waves made it hard to breathe comfortably, and every time his fear got worse it made Roman want to drop everything and just run to him. But they needed a plan or all he'll succeed in doing is getting himself captured.

They decided that half of the abled adults will go to get Virgil back, since no one in Matela is okay with the fact that the monster hunters just kidnapped him like that! The other half would stay back, take care of the kids and prepare for several people to come back injured or worse. The moment the hunters had hurt Virgil was the moment they declared war with the village.

Unfortunately, Patton wouldn't be able to go with them. He understood this, of course he did, this wasn't the first time his disability has stopped him from doing something he wanted to. However that didn't stop him from crying from frustration, and it had taken a while for Logan to calm him down. Several promises were made about Virgil being brought home, though they all knew that things happen.

In the worst case scenario, should Virgil not survive, Roman was planning on hunting down every last monster hunter. Remus and Janus were the only people that knew he felt that way, and without a word being said they all understood the two would help him.

They were all just about ready to leave, supplies to last a week packed. They were now just packing whatever they could use as weapons, and Roman and Remus had worked together to make as many potions as possible. Good thing Roman had found the blue mushrooms, because now they were going to be put to use.

Remus had dropped the glamour on Janus long ago, and word had spread of who the two were. Matela was quick to accept them, especially since they were both working hard to help get Virgil back.

Darrell allowed himself to be hooked up to a carriage to help pull, and it was proved that he was strong enough to pull it all by himself. Of course, he had promised everyone that he would rest if he got tired, Roman being his translator.

Logan and Roman were packing the last of the supplies when Patton came over, Mrs. Miller by his side. "Logan, you promise you'll be okay?" he asked.

The alchemist set a wooden crate down and walked over, taking Patton's hand. "Of course I will, I'll be careful."

"And you'll bring Virgil home, r-right?" Tears started to gather in Patton's eyes.

Logan crouched and reached a hand out, wiping away a stray tear. "Of course we will. We're going to bring him home, and we're going to take care of him. We'll do everything we can to get him back."

Mrs. Miller stepped forward and gave Logan a bag. "It's some food, for lunch at least," she told him. "I-I know you guys already have enough food but... Please be careful? Your father and I can't come to protect you."

"You two need to stay here and help. I'm aware Roman and Remus healed the worst of the injuries, but they couldn't heal all since they were limited on magic and needed to prepare."

"But do you really have to go? Can't you stay and help? I don't want to... I can't lose my only son."

Logan sighed sympathetically and gave her a hug, which was rare from him since he wasn't a fan of them. "You're not going to lose me. I'm not going to be the only one fighting, and we have two witches and a gorgon to help us fight. We'll have even more help once we release any prisoners the monster hunters might have."