Chapter 36: Who's Going to Say It? Someone Please Say It

"Why hello you three!" Miss Kayda greeted Virgil, Patton, and Logan at the vegetable stand.

"Miss Kayda!" Patton shouted, holding out his hand to her from across the stand.

She took it, their way of hugging without anyone bending down or Patton standing up to lean across the stand. "Setting up I see, another fresh harvest! Your plants have been fruitful this summer."

Virgil laughed in slight nervousness as he set down a tray of corn in the front of the stand. "Yeah, we've been lucky I guess," he lied. "It brings in some good money."

"I wish I knew your secret, though my fruit is still the best in town!"

"Big and juicy, especially the strawberries," Patton said.

"Tiny strawberries are too small, that's why I let them get nice and big! I gotta water them well though, they need a lot of water."

"Watering them must be the most time consuming part," Logan commented. "I don't know how you do it, sometimes father forgets to water our herbs."

"Well we have some aqueducts so that makes it easier, plus there's more than two people working in the fields."

"We can't get any help, and we don't need it," Patton told her. "We're doing fine on our own."

"As you can see, since we've been selling even more lately," Virgil pointed out.

"Why not ask Roman to help out? Does he already have a job?" Miss Kayda asked.

"We'll, it's not an actual job but he grows herbs and sells them to the Millers. Besides, I don't know if he would want to work in the fields, that's something he would have to ask us."

"I suppose, but you never know. A stable job would be good for him, and you would get more help."

Virgil rolled his eyes as he finished setting up the stand, then he felt a familiar tug in his chest. Almost instantly the butterflies started to fly in his stomach and he turned to see the witch walk down the street.

"Well, speak of the devil," Logan laughed.

"Virgil!" the witch called when he saw them, coming over to the stand as the fairy started to smile wide.

"Hey Roman!" Patton waved as he shouted.

"Patton, Logan, and Miss Kayda." Roman smiled at them.

"Good morning Roman," Miss Kayda greeted.

"It's nice to see that you have been meeting more people in town," Logan commented. "You're an introvert with an extrovert personality."

"Well Virgil really helped me out of my shell, so it's all thanks to him that I've become more familiar with everyone."

"And you've definitely helped him too," Patton commented.

"I already knew everyone," Virgil defended.

His brother crossed his arms. "Yeah but you stay out longer now. It's nice, actually, I'm happy that you do."

The fairy rolled his eyes as a small blush appeared on his cheeks. He tried to ignore it and instead asked Roman. "You're actually in town early, what's with that?"

"I just need to pick up some food, and the first stop is at my favorite stand!"

"Aw hush," Patton gushed. "You're only saying that because you like us."

"Is that so wrong? I do like corn and potatoes, but not as much as you guys."

"Aw, don't leave the tomatoes and carrots out!" Miss Kayda said.

"Tomatoes aren't bad, but carrots? Ew, no thanks."

"Another carrot hater, what is it with you four?"

Patton shrugged. "We just grow them, but they're the worst. They taste like nothing and are disgusting at the same time!"

"I only eat them because they're healthy," Logan agreed, pushing his glasses up.

"I cut them up into small pieces if I ever really need to eat them and mix them with other things to drown out the taste," Roman explained. "Let's see, I'll take two tomatoes and corn, and a bag of potatoes."

"That'll be four bronze pieces and a silver coin, please!" Patton said as Virgil grabbed a bag of potatoes for him.

Roman dug out a pouch from his pocket and pulled out the coins. "Here you go!" Patton took the coins as Virgil handed him the bag of potatoes. Roman pulled off the wicker basket from his back and set it in before grabbing the tomatoes and corn. "Thank you very much!"

"Nope, thank you!"

"Let's see, now I just need some other items. Some bread, rice, fruit, dairy and eggs."

"That sounds heavy," Virgil said. "Will you be able to carry all of that by yourself?"

Before Roman can answer Patton suggested, "How about Virgil helps you? Today seems like a slow day so I'll be fine at the stand by myself."

"I'm okay with that as long as Virgil is," Roman replied, looking over to the fairy.

"Sure, I don't see why not?" The fairy said, giving Patton a suspicious look. Patton just smiled innocently, though he could feel slight excitement and impatience coming from his brother as if he was planning something.

"Yay! Thank you!" Roman took his hand as Virgil walked around to the other side of the stand. "We won't be long!"

"Have fun you two!" Patton waved as they left. Once they were gone and out of ear shot however he groaned and laid his head on the stand. "Oh my god they're so oblivious! I don't know how I'm going to be able to get them together!"

Logan sighed with a small shake of his head. Miss Kayda however laughed, "You two were just like that, you know."

"Virgil is more observant of other people's emotions, he should have been the first to realize Roman liked him," Logan commented.

"He came home yesterday from spending the night at Romans place, and he went on a rant finally admitting his feelings for him to me!" Patton added. "He doesn't think Roman doesn't like him that way, which is ridiculous!"

"I swear, they hold hands wherever they go," Kayda pointed out., looking down the street where they walked down, though they were already out of sight "I bet half the town already thinks that they're dating."

"Exactly! Roman asked if Virgil could sleep over with no hesitation! And he looked so excited! He clearly wants something with Virgil."

"They're going to end up hurting themselves," Logan sighed.

"They need to confess already, it's driving me crazy!"

~~~

"Night!" Virgil called to Patton as his brother went to his room. He placed the bowl of soapy water they had used to clean his wings since they had gotten some dirt in it and it had started to agitate Virgil. He took a dry towel and carefully dabbed the more soaked feathers one more time before heading to his room.

He flopped down on his bed and let his wings spread out to dry some more. They weren't completely soaked, as that was always uncomfortable, but it would take more than a small towel to dry it completely.

Curling around a pillow he sighed, opening his eyes. They landed on the tomato plant he was supposed to give to Roman long ago, but never did. Now it was potted and in the corner of the room, waiting to be taken somewhere it'll never go.

He couldn't help but think about Roman. Virgil had fallen for him helplessly, and yet he didn't believe the witch felt the same way. Only twice now has he felt that pink and sweet feeling come from Roman, but who's to say why he felt that way?

They were friends, just friends and nothing else. No matter how much Virgil wanted to become something else. If Roman didn't feel the same way as him, then Virgil won't say anything and will just bury these feelings deep inside himself.