12

I nod, trying to hide the rising blush in my cheeks, "I care about you too, Billie."

She chuckles lightly, "Good, I'm glad," she leans her elbows on the table, resting her chin in her hands, "so, I care about you, but I barely even know you."

I fluster slightly at her gaze, and reply, "Well, what would you like to know?"

Her smile grows as she searches my face, "Hmm, okay. Is Dez your full name or is it short for something?"

My body stiffens. I go to deny it, but I stutter out something I wish I hadn't, "Ye- well, n- I- no?"

Billie laughs, her face falling into her hands as she lets out her giggles, "Now I wanna know," she says through a fit of laughter, "come on, tell me."

I redden slightly and laugh a little as well, finding her absolutely adorable, "Fine, but you can't tell anyone."

She raises an eyebrow, "Not even Mia?"

"Especially not Mia."

She grins, "Damn, I'm special."

I laugh as I move over to sit beside her instead of across, "Yeah, yeah, don't let it go to your head."

She nods, "I will try and likely fail. Now tell me, tell me, tell me!"

I lean into her further from my seat beside her, "Okay, it's really stupid. I do not know what my parents were on when they named me."

She giggles, "Okayyy, just tell me."

I smile at her cuteness and lean in closely to her ear, seeing the hairs on her neck stand up, "Ready?"

She hums.

"Dez is short for Pedestrian."

Billie let's out a loud laugh before reigning it in and looking at me, "Your name is Pedestrian?" she whispers.

My face heats up and I rest it on her shoulder, "Yes, yes it is."

She chuckles softly, "Okay, but that's cute. Cuz most of the time you actually are a pedestrian. You walk to school and everything!"

I shake my head against her, "It's anything but cute," I argue.

She hums, "You know why I think it's cute?"

"Why?"

"Because it's the reason your red little face is resting on my shoulder right now. And that sure is adorable."

I whine and push further against Billie in embarrassment, feeling her arm wrap around me and her hand rest on the back of my head.

I relish in the feeling of Billie's warmth against me, wishing I could be somehow closer. I push away the thoughts, remembering my decision to keep my sexuality to myself, and sit up, away from Billie.

She looks at me, slightly confused, but quickly recovers, "Don't like hugs?" She jokes, but I can tell she's hurt.

"I love hugs, especially yours," I clarify.