39

My cheeks burn, and I shut off my phone, snuggling into Billie to hide. Without a word, she rests her head on mine and we lay silently, still catching our breath.

"Hey, Bil. I've got homework to finish before school tomorrow. I really wish I could stay-"

"Oh, of course. I'll take you home," she smiles, leaving a kiss on my cheek.

We leave Billie's room together, and I take her hand as we head out to her car. She opens the door for me and we drive home without speaking, just listening to music as we roll through the night.

When we arrive at my house, I turn to Billie and kiss her passionately, gripping her hair tightly. She lets a moan slip out and I smirk as I pull away. I grab my phone and step out, looking back at her before I close the passenger door.

She looks up at me, "Bye, Dezzy. I'll see you soon." She winks.

I nearly buckle at the knees and laugh awkwardly, "Bye Billie."

She chuckles and I shut the door, heading into my house. I smile widely as I enter the kitchen, "Hey, Mom."

"Hey, Sweetie," she starts, "Hungry?"

I nod.

"After all those brownies??" She laughs.

I blush red and think of a lie on the spot, "Yeah well they made me crave something savory."

She seems to believe me and turns to leave, "Okay well goodnight! I'm going to turn in early tonight. I love you."

"I love you too, Mom."

She leaves and I grab a Diet Coke from the fridge, heading up to my room and getting out my homework. I make slow progress, struggling to focus after scissoring Billie.

I still can't believe it's called scissoring. So crude.

After finishing my first assignment, I hear my phone vibrate on the desk. I get butterflies, wondering if it's Billie and turn the screen face up.

It is not Billie. It is Mia.

I grimace as I stare at the screen, battling myself on whether or not to pick up.

She might be calling to apologize.

I ultimately decide to pick up, and take in a nervous breath as I bring the phone to my ear.

"Hey, Mia?"

"Hey, Dez."

There is a silence on the line and neither of us speak. I just patiently wait for her to continue.

"I'm sorry about what I said."

I think for a moment, my heart aching to have her back, but my brain knowing better than to immediately give in.

"Thank you for apologizing," I reply.

There is another few seconds of silence, until Mia speaks again, "Are we good now?"

I take a deep breath, "No, not really."

More silence.