26

"You're good, everything is okay. You're doing so well. What a brave girl."

I blush intensely every time she does it, but I'm relieved we are in a dark room.

I return my attention to the screen: "LET ME IN!"

-
"I had fun tonight," Billie says, shuffling her feet on the ground outside my front door.

I smile, "Me too."

She smiles awkwardly, nodding her head as she looks at her feet, "Good."

"Mhmm..." I trail off, waiting for Billie to take initiative and end the night with the long-awaited kiss.

"Well," Billie starts, "I'll, uh, see you Monday."

My heart sinks slightly, "Oh yeah, uhm, okay."

Billie leans in to kiss my cheek before turning around and walking away. She gets into her car quickly before driving off.

I watch her car turn the corner on the next street with a frown on my features.

Why didn't she kiss me?

I turn and walk into my house, met with a smile from my mom, "Hey, sweetie, have fun?"

I half smile, "I did. I'm awfully tired though, I'm gonna go to bed."

"Good idea, what movie did you see?"

"The Babadook? Apparently it came out in 2014 but the theater was replaying it."

"Horror? Were you alright?"

I place my keys in the bowl by the door, "Billie helped me through the scary parts."

"That's nice," she smiles, "goodnight sweetie."

"Goodnight."

I head up to my room, the upstairs floor almost pitch black as the rest of my family is sleeping. I step into my bedroom, hearing the door behind me creak slightly.

I jump and turn around, seeing nothing there. I shake my head, chuckling at myself, and start to undress.

I sit down in front of my mirror, the dim light from the hallway the only thing helping me see, and I remove my makeup with a small wipe.

Outside my window, I hear the crackling of leaves, as if they were being walked on. My eyes widen and I slowly turn towards my window, afraid of what I might find on the other side. I stand up on shaky feet and step closer to the window.

I reach the pane of glass and look down, seeing nothing but the lawn mower we keep on the side of the house.

I'm unable to shake the fear off this time, and I rush to the bathroom. The whole time I'm brushing my teeth, I keep checking behind me, feeling as though something must be there, something must be lurking quietly behind me, waiting until I look away long enough for them to strike.

I neglect washing my face, too fearful, and I rush back into my bedroom, shutting the door as quietly as I can and jumping into my bed, pulling the covers over my head.