Love and war

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y    E I G H T

After our latest revelation about Petrov Ace had gone into full blown mafia mode. He brought men down to the basement regularly, ripping his own family apart to try and differentiate between who was loyal and who was double crossing him.

It stressed him out, probably more than it should. I could see it in the way he tussled back his hair or pondered over his decisions for too long. This whole sex trafficking ring had hit him hard and it was clear he felt like it was solely his responsibility to put an end to it.

He had laid down a fresh clear tarp so I expected another hostage to be brought in here by tonight. I watched clear liquid splash against the plastic, drip after drip after drip.

I stretched my foot out as far as it would go, fighting against my restraints with a painful force to make it go further. I managed to knock Darias tongue clamp closer to me, little by little rolling it against the floor until I could reach it.

Somehow that gave me a little more length to grab the tarp and pull it close enough to reach with my hands. I shook it until the water rolled down the plastic and onto my hand then I sucked the droplets into my mouth.

It didn't taste of anything.

I expected it to be a leak from someone's shower. It would have a soapy taste and maybe a fragrance.

Failing that I expected it to be tap water from one of the kitchens but it didn't taste filtered.

I was relieved it wasn't dirty bathroom water from the toilet. Fuck, I was relieved it tasted of nothing.

It only meant one thing, it was water from outside. Rain water.

I followed the splatters to the source with my eyes, the drips were coming from an air vent latch in the ceiling and I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

Ace flung the doors open and dragged in a comatose version of my brother Carlo, strapping him down on the chair with thick hessian ropes. Carlo mumbled something incoherent and Ace punched him in the face. I winced and Ace raised a brow at me.

"Oh we care about this one, do we?" Damn it, I gave too much away. Carlo opened his swollen eyes and looked around, lingering his sight on me for half a second longer than anywhere else.

"Tell me what you know about Valentino and Petrov working together!" Ace demanded.

"può Ace capirci?" Carlo asked me.
(Can Ace understand us?)

"non credo" Ace flicked his furious vision between Carlo and I. He looked lost, like he was trying to pick out certain words of our conversation.
(I do not believe)

"puoi scappare?"
(can you escape?)

"Si."
(Yes)

"papà verrà stasera." I glanced nervously at Ace. He was watching me with complete interest from behind his mafia mask. His lips curled into a small smile and I frowned at him. "sii pronto a combattere la sorellina. Ace muore stanotte."
(Father will come tonight) (be ready to fight little sister. Ace dies tonight.)