Need-to-know basis

C H A P T E R     T H I R T Y    N I N E

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y N I N E

"There! Finished!" I held up the big ring covered in tinsel, glitter and baubles. It was amazing. Okay, it was tacky and colourful but still, I made it and for some reason that made me immensely proud.

"Good job Gracie, it's beautiful." Ace cooed, kissing her on the top of her head.

"Gracie? I did far more than her, she just tipped glitter on." Ace laughed but Grace stuck her tongue out at me cheekily.

"Good job Red, you really worked hard with the gluing and the sticking. So magical." He was being sarcastic, I could hear it in his annoying voice.

"Oh whatever." I brushed pink glitter onto my hand and blew it at them both. Gracie laughed but Ace tried brushing it away, only spreading it around more. Ha! Try leading your mafia men when you sparkle like a pink unicorn.

"What now Gabriella, can we make gingerbread houses?" Ace nervously glanced at me.

"Yeah!" I answered a little too enthusiastically.

I envied Grace, she got to be a kid. I didn't get to celebrate Christmas or sit around the family kitchen making cute little crafts. I didn't have a father who kept my existence a secret in order to protect me at all costs, I had a father who kept me a secret so I could be his deadliest weapon. So I could reap revenge on the one person I couldn't bring myself to kill.

I was in so fucking deep right now and yet, I was determined to live up to my legacy. To make my family proud. I was raised no fool.

"Why are you smiling?" Grace asked me, dotting my nose with a finger full of flour.

I shook my head. "I'm not." I lied.

"I'm going to work." Adrian interrupted the gingerbread making. He kissed Grace on the top of her head and she mumbled her goodbyes.

"You better be gone by tonight and I don't just mean out of the door." He warned me.

I raised my middle finger at him and Grace clutched her palm around it tightly.

"Do not swear." She warned.

"Okay, jeeze." She released her grip and stuck candy onto her gingerbread house with an icing pen humming a little tune between her lips.

"You hungry?" Ace leaned down on the counter, scooped some frosting onto his finger and sucked it off. I swallowed, hard and he smirked at me sexily.

"Famished." I answered, clearly not talking about food. His eyes sparkled with mischief and then Graces small voice spoke up.

"She's been eating the gingerbread daddy." I popped another piece into my mouth.

"Tattle tail!" Gracie laughed.