Reunion

C H A P T E R      F I F T Y     T H R E E

C H A P T E R F I F T Y T H R E E

There was an usual calm within the safe house. Men waited, watching the hours tick by. I paced the floor, sweating, stressing, swearing.

What if it was all a lie?

Then I just played right into his hands and let him walk out of here.

"Ma'am, the alarms have been triggered." Brussel informed me.

"Positions everyone, I want every gun pointing at him. Shoot on my signal only."

The men all around me snapped into place. They lined the balcony above the entrance way. They stood in every doorway, every alcove, ready to shoot.

My heart thundered like someone held a microphone to it, amplifying the sound out of every speaker. I was both nervous and scared.

The number keypad for our security code beeped and I stood perfectly still waiting to see who walked through that door.  

"Access granted." The robot spoke.

My father stepped into the hallway, he appeared so normal. Like he was returning from the convenient store where he popped out to buy eggs and milk.

"Father?" The word slipped out of my mouth, it was thick with love and surprise and compassion.

I almost leapt forward and wrapped my arms around him but I knew he wouldn't appreciate or respect me for that. So instead, I cried.

I couldn't help it or hold it back. I hadn't seen my father in over a month, I believed he was dead. I was overcome with emotion.

My father raised his hand to stop me. "Compose yourself Willa." He ordered and instinctively I sucked air into my lungs and forced my tears away.

But then my brothers walked in, I broke down. Instantly running towards them.

"Oh my god, I missed you so much Willa!" Dante squeezed me half to death, Carlo practically pounced on my back. The twins lifted me in excitement and Antonio was standoffish.

"You're acting like fools, pull yourself together." My father spoke, causing Antonio to step aside. "We have much to discuss, catch me up one everything."

Alessio spoke to Brussel, dismissing me like I didn't just spend the last month and a half believing he was dead and single-handedly running his mafia. The men, our men, my men ... now looked torn on whose lead they should be following.

My brothers, all smiled at me in that same way. The sympathetic way which let me know they understood and wanted to comfort me but at the same time it wasn't allowed. We were not allowed feelings or emotions in the mafia.

Ace hobbled in and stopped, leaning up against the door frame for support. His eyes trailed the men who all pointed guns at him but then they settled on me.