35

There was a dean of an orphanage that was surnamed Meng, who picked up a child who was placed at the orphanage entrance on a starry night. He was about two years old, and had stars in his eyes, so she decided to call him Meng Xing.

She realized that this child was not the same as the others; he started speaking later, had a dull personality, loved to be alone, was not interested in toys, and did not play with other children. She took him to the hospital for a checkup, finding out that he was a child with infantile autism.

Probably because of this, he was abandoned by his original parents, as they wanted to have a healthy child.

Ms. Meng didn't look down on him and treated him equally. Besides those whose parents got into accidents, there were children with all kinds of defects that were sent to the orphanage. They were brought into the world by irresponsible parents, then thrown away like a pair of worn-out shoes.
t/n: the term for ms. meng is dean (-yuanzhang)

Children with autism needed more guidance and company. Ms. Meng exhausted her patience, but Meng Xing did not give her more than half a response.

Dean Meng sometimes played the piano and taught children how to sing. The piano was donated by a well-wisher. She had learned a few nursery rhymes in her spare time, wanting to let the children have fun from singing. The song she was most proficient at was "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star": "Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky..."

Meng Xing never participated in group activities. When other children gathered together to sing, he would always hide upstairs by himself.

His eyes were dim, always avoiding people's sights, no longer having stars in his eyes.

Ms. Meng once brought him down, encouraging him to sing with the other children. Meng Xing just watched quietly, his mouth tightly shut, never opening it the entire time.

Ms. Meng was a little disappointed, but she also knew that she could not rush him.

She never would've thought that when she finished and dismissed everyone, the four-year-old Meng Xing would walk over to the piano, and play that song, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," from beginning to end, without making any mistakes.

Ms. Meng was shocked.

Meng Xing had never learned the piano, couldn't read music, didn't recognize the keys, but was able to memorize it just by watching her play it one time.

Ms. Meng tentatively played several other nursery songs, such as "The Dull-Ice Flower." Meng Xing replicated them all perfectly.

So, Ms. Meng surprisingly found out that this child was a genius, both in memory and music.

From then on, she found a way to communicate with Meng Xing. Meng Xing couldn't express himself with words, but could express his emotions with music. She taught Meng Xing how to read music, then discovered that this child was very quickly able to play original pieces.

He would play a cheerful little tune when he was happy, sad notes when he was sad, and countless accents when he was angry. Every piece flowed smoothly and was pleasant to listen to.

She soon had nothing more to teach. Ms. Meng discovered his talent, and couldn't bear to neglect it, so she hired a professional piano teacher.

The piano teacher also marveled at Meng Xing's intelligence, and willingly waived half of the tuition fee. After teaching him piano for several years, he gave Meng Xing the opportunity to participate in piano competitions.

Meng Xing won first place in one fell swoop.

After that, he won prizes in competitions and was admitted to a professional music conservatory. At the age of sixteen, he was admitted to the best music university in the country.