Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Betrayed

I did not know how I should react and was left stunned for a moment.

I can't help but think why Hadrian is here with Arthur and is not with his teammates. And he did not tell me about it. Could it be that he purposely lied?

My jaw clenched at that thought. No. I should not conclude things.

But no matter how I try to convince myself to have faith in Hadrian, the fact that he did not tell me about it makes me think otherwise.

I thought about approaching their table and confront him but I quickly realized that it was not the best thing to do.

"Hey, are you okay?" Anais asked when she noticed me spacing out. She snapped a finger in front of me which led me back to my senses.

"S-sorry," I said, turning my gaze back at her.

I glanced at Hadrian's table and saw that they were talking seriously.

"Why do you seem so preoccupied?" My attention was directed back to Anais who just talked.

"Just thinking about a class requirement."

"Well, I'm sure you can do it." Anais lets out a genuine smile.

I shrugged my shoulders. Good thing she bought my excuse.

The waiter arrived with our orders. My phone placed on the table vibrated because of a new notification from the bank. My mom has just sent me my monthly allowance and I noticed that it was a bit smaller than my regular allowance. It wasn't long until my phone rang and it was her calling. I took a moment to decide whether or not I should accept the call.

"Aren't you going to accept that? It's your mom calling."

"Nah. She's just calling to inform me that she sent me my allowance."

"It might be something urgent."

To not make things complicated, I decided to just accept the call. I picked the phone up and brought it to my ear.

"Yes mom?" I asked, irritated. I still haven't forgotten how she invited his boyfriend over to our house.

Anais looked at me with a confused look, probably because of the way I responded to my mom.

"I just sent you your monthly allowance. I'm sorry if it's a little short. I'll try my best to send more next week. Nate had this project so I had to cut some from your allowance. Will you be fine for a few weeks? I promise to send additional money before the end of the month."

I rolled my eyes. Maybe she's spending all of Dad's money on her boyfriend? But I did not want to make the conversation longer.

"Okay."

"How are things in school?" she asked. "Mom misses you so much."

"Fine. I got to go," I said dismissively.

"Bye, Antinous. Always take care of yourself, okay? Please know that mom loves you so much."

"Mkay."

I ended the call. Could this day get any worse?

I glanced back towards Hadrian's table and saw that they have already left. My eyebrows furrowed. Did they leave without eating? Did Hadrian see me and asked Arthur that they need to leave before I find out that they are here together?

I picked up my spoon and fork. My grip on the utensils were tight. And Anais did not fail to notice it.

"Did anything bad happen at home?" she asked, worried.