Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Court

Although I was not able to sleep comfortably last night, I still woke up early the following day. It was Friday. I did not have the energy to get up from bed.

The clock on my bedside table let me know that it was still 6:30 in the morning. It was still early for my next class which won't start until 8 AM.

I glanced at Hadrian's bed only to find out that he has left already for his morning workout and practice. My chest started to feel heavy again when his betrayal crossed my mind.

Last night, I gave him the chance to tell me the truth because I did not want commit the same mistake I did of not listening to his explanation. I did not want to lose him by being rash about my decisions. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But he still chose to lie.

My phone that was placed on top of my bedside table vibrated. I picked it up to check who texted me.

Hughie just sent me an article assignment that I need to finish by tonight.

The Handsome Devil: I need the article by 9 pm.

He's been like this ever since I failed to show up during our meeting, assigning me articles that I need to finish by the day. Luckily, I have a few free periods later so I will have the time to work on it. I did not bother sending him a reply because I'm guessing he still doesn't want to talk to me. I sighed. When will he ever truly forgive me so he'll stop giving me a hard time?

I forced myself out of bed to take a bath and picked up my towel that was hung on the door of my closet.

Before I could even proceed to the bathroom, I heard someone enter the room.

It was Hadrian. Our gaze met for a few seconds but I immediately looked away. I could not bare to look him in the eye after he lied to me last night. I just can't.

"Hey, can we talk?" he asked sadly. He went near me and held both my hands.

I looked down on my slippers. "Why are you here? Are you not supposed to be on your practice?" I tried to remove his hands but his grip only tightened.

"I couldn't focus," he said, his voice feeling tired. He let go of my hand to lift my chin so our eyes would meet. "I need to tell you something." His expressive eyes are telling me that something is bothering him.

I could see the sadness in them. Slowly, fear began to consume me.

Could this be it? Could this be the time he would break up with me? Will he now tell me that he doesn't want me anymore? That it is now Arthur that he likes? Could this be the end of our swift love story?

Even if I could not see my face, I knew for a fact that he could see the pain and fear in me.

"W-what is it?" I asked, hesitant.

My heart will surely break if he breaks up with me right now. I don't think I'm ready.

He motioned me to sit on his bed. I quickly did as he wanted. Hadrian sat beside me but he remained facing me.

"I lied to you last night," he said apologetically while looking at me in the eye. Regret filled his face. "I wasn't with my friends the whole time. Arthur invited me for dinner so I went out with him."

I was not expecting that he'd tell that to me now. I thought he was going to breaking up with me. Or wait, maybe he's just starting? If ever he really does try to break up with me, what am I gonna say? Should I accept it? Or will I be able to accept it?

My lips trembled, but I forced myself to speak. "Yeah. I saw you both at the restaurant," I whispered, my heart being ripped into tiny pieces. The image of them facing each other inside the resto flashed in my head.