Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Kitchen

As I made my way to Hadrian's room, all I could think about was that I need to leave.

I understand Tita Mercedes' concern over her son. It's just that I wasn't expecting her to say it after the nice dinner we just shared and the way she treated me during her daughter's wedding.

When I got back to Hadrian's room, I took a moment to scan his things as I failed to observe them earlier. His walls were painted black and were just like his wall in our room, decorated with many basketball-related merch. They made me think about the uncertainty of our relationship. The one thing that's keeping us hide our relationship to ourselves is the fact that there is a high chance basketball fans are still not ready to accept queer players. I have no problem in coming out as gay, despite having thought I was straight for a long time. I have no fear in declaring to the world my love for Hadrian. But the case for him is different. In such a male-dominated sport, it's a risk to come out. The basketball industry is simply not ready. I understand the complexity of the situation. That is why I never really pressured Hadrian for us to go public. I know that he dreams to be a professional basketball player. I can accept that and won't force him to flex our relationship. I can accept being lowkey.

But will I be able to live with it? I want to support him in every way. I want to be with him in every step of the way as he tries to achieve his dream. But the question is, will I be okay to be kept as a secret?

I don't know the answer to that question yet. Right now, I just know that I do not want to exhaust myself thinking about it. There are far more important things I should concern myself.

My heart is still heavy especially with my parents' annulment. It still breaks my heart knowing that my family is now broken. It turned out that Dad wasn't the person I thought him to be. And so was Mom.

I've been on the wrong side for a long time. And I want to be on the right one now that I know everything.

As I scanned Hadrian's room, I noticed a picture on top of his study table. From my guess, it is a family picture since his mom, dad, and Ate Dianne was with him. But what piqued my interest was the unfamiliar girl in the photo. She looked so much like them and probably just a year younger from Hadrian.

If Hadrian is 21, then I guess she's 20. Could it be that she's also his sister? But why was she not on Ate Dianne's wedding?

I heard the door open so I made my way into his bed and sat down, played with my nails because I did not want him to think that I was snooping around.

"Hey," he called before he sat beside me. "Is everything fine?" His voice was filled with concern.

I gave him a nod before I spoke. "Can you take me home?" I gave him half a smile.

During that moment, I felt like I needed to be there for my mom. I'm still angry with her decision to keep everything from me but then again, I only knew today about everything she went through all those years because of the annulment. It must have been painful. No. It was really painful and I can only imagine. I know that she's already accepted this since she already cooperated last year, but still, I need her to know that I am on her side on this. I want to go home.

Plus, I didn't feel like I could face Hadrian's mom again after everything she said to me earlier.

Hadrian's face was immediately filled with confusion. He was planning to speak but when he realized something, he decided to just keep it to himself and nodded before me. He pulled my head slowly closer to him and kissed my hair.

"I love you Antinous, okay?" he said softly. "I hope you know that."

I turned to face him and gave him a peck on his lips before giving him a smile which I knew did not reach my eyes. I made sure that our eyes locked. "I love you too."