Epilogue (Original Ending)

Thank you for making it this far. This is the last part. Many of you have already read another version of the Epilogue but I removed it and I am posting the original ending I had in mind. This is the original ending. Enjoy!

Epilogue

Antinous' Point of View

In Roman history, the love affair of the great emperor Hadrian and young Greek man Antinous is probably the most popular homosexual story.

Emperor Hadrian fell madly inlove with Antinous and publicly showed his affection and admiration, bringing him to state dinners and royal ceremonies. In the Roman culture, it was no big deal if emperors had sex with a person of the same sex, so long as everything remained casual and no feelings were involved. The public didn't really care because Hadrian was such a great leader. It is said that Hadrian had to marry a girl to keep himself in power while he stayed madly inlove with the exceptionally beautiful Antinous. Their affair was not limited to a sexual relationship. Their feelings were real, with the Emperor adoring every aspect of the young Greek man.

Things went south when Hadrian failed to produce an heir with his wife. Because of this, the public began to suspect their emperor, thinking that their leader may be a true homosexual. As the emperor, this became a huge scandal.

But because Hadrian continued his great leadership of the Roman empire, bringing the city to greater heights, it seemed like the citizens have chosen to turn a blind eye.

By the year 130 AD, Antinous died while he was sailing on the Nile River with his beloved Hadrian. There are many theories about his death. But one theory stands out the most to me.

Many people say that in order to save Hadrian's reputation, Antinous threw himself in the river and drowned. To end the relationship, Antinous sacrificed himself. It could be that he did it to protect his beloved from being remembered more as a homosexual than as a great emperor.

The story of Hadrian and Antinous in Roman history gives us an idea that true love sacrifices.

When can we say that we truly love someone?

Some people would say that it is love when we lie awake in bed all night thinking about them. Some would say that it is when we save up money to buy them nice gifts. While some would say that it is love when you want to spend the rest of your life with them.

But if you would ask me the same question, my answer would be none of those. Because for me, we can only say that we really love someone when we are willing to sacrifice ourselves, even if it means destruction for us. That is what love is for me.

It's been five years since Hadrian and I broke up. Wait, let me rephrase that. It's been five years since I broke up with Hadrian. It was me who wanted it. It was my decision alone. And do I regret my decision? Somehow. But a bigger part of me believes that I did the right thing.

After finishing my first year in college, I have decided to shift from Political Science into another degree program, Journalism. I don't know. It seemed to me that shifting into Journalism made me feel so much closer to Hadrian.

One week after we broke up, Hadrian flew back immediately to Texas and signed his contract with San Antonio Spurs. Meanwhile, I resumed my boring college life without him.

Upon graduation, I was absorbed by a media company whom I worked for during my internship. I was assigned as a staff writer during my first four years, and only this year, I was promoted into a higher position and became the sports correspondent of the company. My job now is to cover international sports events like boxing, ASEAN games, and NBA Basketball Championships.

Mom and Anton got married three years ago and Nate will be graduating from college next year. Meanwhile, I never heard from my biological sperm donor again. I'm just happy he let us live a peaceful life.