Chapter 28

Chapter 28: Gift

It's been a week since Hadrian left for the United States, Houston Texas in particular for his tryout for the San Antonio Spurs. He couldn't hide his excitement to leave the following day. I could tell that he waited for this for a long time and knowing that his dreams are finally coming to light makes him extremely happy and excited.

And because he's happy, I'm happy for him as well. I know how much he worked hard for this. He told me his stories, how he always train everyday, even on Weekends, how he attended all basketball summer camps when he was still small, and how he badly wants to pursue a professional basketball career. It's been his dream ever since. And I could never be more proud.

(Flashback)

"Could you pinch me?" Hadrian asked while we sat facing each other on one of the benches at the Hongkong airport. The entire airport was busy, filled with bustling people not wanting to miss their flights. Hadrian's plane for US leaves in an hour and we're only waiting for it to allow passengers to board. Meanwhile, my flight back to PH is still two hours away.

My eyebrows furrowed at his request. "Why?"

"Just so I can wake up if I'm dreaming. I can't believe this is happening," he said, still feeling ecstatic. "Am I really on my way to Texas to have my tryout for San Antonio Spurs?"

I pinched his cheek hard enough to make him feel a little bit of pressure.

He closed his eyes in pain. "Ouch."

"You told me to pinch you."

"Not too hard."

"Well, at least now you know this isn't a dream. This is real, Hadrian. You are flying to Texas to save yourself a spot for the San Antonio Spurs basketball team and fulfill your dreams as a professional basketball player," I smiled at him.

But somehow, I knew to myself that my smile wasn't as genuine as it should be. Don't get me wrong. I may be the happiest person on Earth right now for this opportunity for him. I am extremely happy and I can never be more proud. But I just thought about how our relationship would look like the moment he finally gets accepted, signs a contract, and be a basketball superstar. I could only think of one possible outcome. We will have to keep our relationship even more. Which means that he will have to keep me as a secret. We can't go out on dates. We could never go out publicly. We could never declare our love to the world. Because the moment we do, his entire career could go down the drain. Everything he worked for years, gone in just a snap.

But the question would be, for how long will Hadrian stick with me once he gets accepted? Just thinking about it makes my heart ache. But I wouldn't blame him. If he chooses to do so, I would not stop him. I would not be angry with him. If doing so will make sure that his career stays on track, then I will never hold it against him.

"But what if I don't make it?" he asked, with worry all over his face.

"Believe in yourself because you owe it to yourself. Plus, many of us believe in you," I tried to comfort him. "You worked so hard for this. Being a basketball player is running through your veins. It's in your blood. You're a natural, Hadrian. Just do your best, okay? Remember that we reap what we sow. And even if you don't make it, which I know would be impossible, you'd still come home to me. You'll still have me."

He reached for my face using his hands and cupped it. He moved closer to me, making sure that our eyes were still locked on each other. "I don't know what I'd do without you. Thank you for spending time with me here."

"And thank you for bringing me here as well."

"I didn't want you to feel that I was purposely keeping our relationship a secret . I will always be proud for having you as my boyfriend. But sadly, the time isn't right yet. I hope you hang in there, okay?"