Chapter 10: Accords

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

𝘼𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙏𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧, 𝙉𝙚𝙬 𝙔𝙤𝙧𝙠

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does enhanced individuals like Wanda and Anara Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri...." The TV screen went black.

"Turn it back on. They're being very specific." I didn't look back, knowing Steve was by my door.

"It's not your fault, Anara. You know that right." I snort in response with a head shake. "Really? The incredible Captain America is saying the bad guy is not to blame."

"I didn't say that." He pushed himself off the doorway and walked over to sit beside me. "I should've clocked that bomb vest long before either of you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a 16 year old kid again, in Brooklyn."

"I know. I've helped you look for him for months." I lent on his shoulder and he put his hand on my knee in comfort. "It feels like I failed. First was in Sokovia... and now this. I should have focused more and not let Wanda do it. She's still a kid."

"So are you."

"But I'm older. She's my responsibility. I should have never let the situation get like that. It's on me."

"It's on us. We can't change the past, but we can do what we can now. We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... then next time maybe nobody gets saved."

"I think I preferer your pep talk then Natasha. She just ends up tackling me to the floor." We both share a light chuckle.

A faint sound came from our side. Turning, I lifted my head up to see Vis phase through the wall.

"Vision! No walls remember." I glance to him. "Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." He glanced to the entrance then back to me and the soldier.

"Vis, what do you need?"

"Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Steve nodded and looked down at his hands. "Thank you. We'll be right down." Vis nodded and signalled to the door. "I'll use the door. Apparently he's brought a guest. The Secretary of State." He walked out but I called back. "Thank you V." He nodded and left.

"I guess that's our cue, Mr. Rogers." He chuckled as I got up, speaking. "I believe so, Mrs. Maximoff." He said, standing up as well. I followed him to the meeting room, seeing Natasha already there.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Ross acted out the movement at the head of the table. I was sitting behind Sam, opposite Steve. "Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective." I glanced over to Tony who was to the side.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some... who would prefer the word 'Vigilantes.' "

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" The widow asked. "How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose" Steve glanced round to us, stopping on me as I was letting the anger get to me. He sent me a look, my blue irises settling down.

"and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" I huff in annoyance at Ross, he ignoring it and walking beside a screen.

A map came of first, followed by the 2012 attack. "New York." A chitauri was shown then people running and screaming. Hulk was seen crashing through windows and on buildings.

"Washington, D.C." The three helicarries were crashing into the sea. people ran for their life.

"Sokovia." His words were directed at me and Wan. Footage showed the city flying, buildings falling, our home being destroyed. Neither of the Maximoff's took our eyes off the screen.

"Lagos." Ross's attention was only on the two at fault. Me and Wanda. The building releasing smoke, dead bodies being carried out, a little girl lied dead in the rubble. I gulped back, Wanda looking away. Steve noticed this and stopped it. "Okay. That's enough."

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." A book was tossed on the table. "The Sokovia Accords."

"Approved by 117 countries it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization." It was passed from Wanda to Rhodes. "Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

Ross walked round the table, stopping to stand by Steve. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Rogers defended.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" He just looked up to Ross. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodney spoke. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Cap moved to look at Tony, he just looked down before glancing back to him. "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asked the men who were about to leave. "Then you retire." With that the Secretary left. The seven of us left in disbelief. Stark got up quickly, leaving before anything could be asked.

☠︎︎