Chapter 40: Goodbyes

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙠'𝙨 𝘾𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙣, upstate New York2023

Today was Tony Stark's funeral. Tony's main family and friends were gathered around in his family cabin as a projector played of the late Tony Stark. Some of us like me, Bucky and Wanda stayed outside as we were not as close but still wanted to pay our respects. As did everyone.

I had my hand laced with Wanda's and my head rested on her shoulder. "Rest in peace to the fallen. Pietro, Vision, Loki, Natasha and Tony." I said, holding up a flask that I brought with me, before downing most of it. 

"No more for you." Wanda said as Bucky took the silver flask away from me, making me pout at him. "Come on, doll." Barnes smiled to me and opened his arm for me to lean into him instead. I breathed in his scent of fire wood and old spice. 

Even though I got back my family, I lost some to. Nothing felt real anymore. It all felt like I was being dragged along in life and nothing would fix it. 

"Don't leave again. Any of you." I muttered only for Sam, James and Wanda to hear.

"Not going anywhere, witchy."

Soon Pepper walked out with Morgan and a wreath with Tony's arc reactor. Following the duo was Happy, Rhodey, Steve, Thor and Peter with his aunt.

The group walked to the edge where the water was and the remaining of us spread out . We watched the words float away. 'proof tony stark has a heart'

I stood with Wanda on my right and Bucky to my left and sam to his left. Bucky's arm was wrapped around my waist, my head leaning on his shoulder.

Once the group disburse, Wanda had wondered off and I was walking with Wilson and Barnes till I heard a familiar voice. "Auntie An!" I turned around to see the four year old running to me. 

"Morgan." I smiled and knelt down to hug her. "Hi, sweetie. I missed you."

"I miss you to." She sent me a small smile. I looked up to see Bucky looking to me with a raised eyebrow.

"Did you help daddy save the world." I turned back to the girl and opened my mouth to speak but couldn't think of anything. "She did." Bucky said after I froze.

"Are you auntie An's boyfriend." I shook my head from my daze and looked to Bucky who was caught off guard. "Uhh, yeah. I am." I bit my lip and smiled to him before my attention went back to Morgan. 

"Why don't you go find your mom. I think she'll worry about you." Morgan gave me a big hug before walking off, saying her goodbyes.

"I didn't know you were close with the Starks?" Bucky asked as the two of us began to walk. 

"It was a few years after... you know. I was hoping if I found peace with Tony that it might help."

"Did it?"

"I'm not sure. Yes and no. It just made me think that maybe the cost of my parents saved so many others, but also losing them didn't have to happen. It was never your fault, James. Tony knows that to. Sorry you never got to tell him probably, but I know. He forgives you."

After a while, I was now sitting beside Clint on a bench. "Do you think it was worth all of this? Losing Nat? Tony?" I asked, sucking on a lollipop I got from Morgan.

"Yeah and no. Loads of us got our family's back," Clint started. "But you also lost another person of your family." I continued. 

"I think they know. Somehow they know. Maybe they told each other."

Clint swung his arm over my shoulders. "Yeah, they know." 

"How's your boyfriend?" Clint asked. "Good. Weird, but good." I smiled and chuckled. "What's so funny?"

"Who would have thought. eight years ago I was fighting you and the rest of the Avengers, and now we're mourning a hero who I wanted to kill since I was eleven."

"Yeah." Barton let out an airy chuckle. "A lot can change." 

"But, we'll never forget. Especially her."