Ms.Blight

The Emperor's Coven had treated Luz just about as well as I could for the past week.

No one had been suspicious of her joining the Emperor's Coven, thanks to the potion that gave her pointed ears, and her staff that allowed her to do her magic without paper.

Before she was able to fully become a member, she had to fight one of the best witches, whom she beat easily, thanks to her brute strength and her new magic ability.

It would be an understatement to say the Emperor had been proud of her. 

Just before Luz had gotten back to her small, cramped room, the Emperor had invited her, and his apprentice together for dinner.

Luz had agreed, because if she didn't it might seem suspicious.

She didn't think the Emperor had suspicions of her, but she wouldn't put it past him, either.

Walking through the walls of the castle, Luz was surprisingly calm, even though she knew who the Emperor's apprentice was, Luz knew she'd see her sooner or later.

'3,2,1.' Luz counted her footsteps as she reached the door to the Emperor's dining room.

A royal guard stands in front of the door, and they nod their head Luz approaches them.

Luz steps inside the now open door, and sees Emperor Belos sitting at the table with his 'apprentice'.

Once he sees Luz, he waves his hand over. "Ah, there she is! One of my best." Luz takes her time to take a seat, but once she does, she knows she'll have to take her mask off.

"Lucia, do you know why I invited you here?" The fake name Luz had given herself. It was a quick one, but a good one.

"To have dinner?" Luz jokes. Emperor Belos lets out a few deep chuckles, while his apprentice continues to glare at her.

"No, no. I wanted you to meet my apprentice, and to have dinner. Let me introduce, Amity Blight." At the mention of her name, Amity stops glaring and clears her throat.

"Nice to meet you, Miss.Blight." Luckily the mask on Luz's face covers her sad eyes. "Nice to meet you, too, Miss..?" Amity lifts an eyebrow, mentioning for Luz to continue.

"Wright." That's stupid. "Actually, that was my father's last name. Noceda, is what I prefer." Amity's eyes go wide for a moment, but then she blinks and they're back to normal.

"Noceda?" Belos asks. Luz nods in response. "We used to have someone here with that last name. Years ago. Human to be exact."

I raise my eyebrows in mock surprise. "Human? How did one of those... things end up here?" Belos shrugs as he motions for the chefs to bring out the food.

"They don't belong here. They stay in their world, we stay in ours," Luz adds. Belos nods in agreement. 

"Some people need to hear that." I lift an eyebrow under my mask. "Such as..?" Belos sighs. "That.. Owl Lady. And the human's friends. Willow Park and Augustus Porter."

Fear floods into Luz's veins, but she keeps her voice steady. "Did you do anything to them?" She asks, poking at her food as it's placed in front of her.

"Oh, Titan no. The boy is son of Perry Porter, who is the reporter for the BBN-HXN channel." Belos replies, taking off his horned mask and stuffing a big piece of 'steak' into his mouth. 

Luz's eyes widen for a second, but then they go back to normal. Amity doesn't react, she just continues to eat.

"Aren't you going to take off your mask?" Amity asks. Luz nods, and places both hands on the side of her mask, and pulls it off.

After gently setting it on the table, Luz looks up with her eyes only, and sees Amity staring. "Is there something wrong, Miss. Blight?"

Amity shakes her head, and goes back to eating.

"So, Lucia. Tell me about your family." 

'Make something up.'

Luz swallows the food that was in her mouth, keeping her head facing the table. "Well, my mother died a few years ago, and I haven't ever seen my father."

Belos nods his head, his grey hair bouncing. "I haven't ever seen my father, either. My mother, however, she was always good to me," Belos says through his food.

"Yes, well. Sorry to say, but I must be off." Luz stands up, grabbing her mask and quickly putting it on.

"Ah, what a shame. Perhaps I'll see you tomorrow, at training?" Belos asks. Once her mask is securely covering her face, Luz nods and puts her hood on her head.

"Yes, I'll be there." Belos gives Luz a little smile. "Good."

"Good-bye, Miss.Blight." Luz bows. "And good-bye, Emperor Belos." Luz bows again, and takes big steps towards the door, stopping in front of it only to let the guard open it for her.

"See you around, Lucia."

~

Back in Luz's room, she plays with her otter palisman.

"C'mere, Otto," Luz says, opening her arms for her palisman to climb into. "You might wanna get some rest, we're going to be doing a lot of magic tomorrow."

Otto squeaks, and climbs onto the cot-bed.

Pulling the string to the small lamp that lights the whole room, Luz climbs under the covers and curls into a ball.

"Good-night, Otto."