. . . . chapter seventeen.

( ❑❑❑ )

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

"you sure you're doing it right? how would a law student know how to treat sprains properly anyway?" raeil judged as doyoung applied ointment to her sprained ankle. "you guys would just discover ways to sue the stairs for physical—"

"shh, it's almost done."

when he already wrapped her injured part with a bandage and slipped it back into the shoe, he sat next to her on the kitkat bench.

as the spring day's beauty was showcased in the place where no one was around (they hit the jackpot with it since it was packed by tourists 90% of the time from april to june), cherry blossoms continuously fell to the ground, some even touching the two of them. it was hard to act like one's spirit wasn't uplifted staying in a surrounding as bright as this.

he hummed to a familiar tune as his heart pleased, attracting the woman's ears. they lingered in silence, enjoying

something in her just felt the need to ask as she remembered her brother's rants : "if you majored in music and was chased by agencies, why go for law? wouldn't being in the music industry be easier success?"

a bittersweet smile fueled by the recalled emotions found its way to doyoung's lips. "mom."

oh shit. sob story coming.

he continued, "she went missing. 'presumption of death'. no lawyer or detective wanted to defend her. 'homewrecker', after all. maybe it was their doings even, since she was such a hated person. but i figured that maybe if i go for law, criminal law, i can dig up her case and resolve it myself once and for all.

"you see, the thing is, she was the first wife. genuinely. girlfriend, i mean. even after his arranged marriage and having a kid with that woman before me, he never broke it off with mom. and he never admitted was already married until he got to know about her pregnancy news.

"but nobody cared about the truth. who would the masses believe in more anyway? a famous classy woman from a rich family, or an unknown one from the middle class who just wants to be loved?"

the feared tragic backstory was more personal than she thought, her heart dropping.

she's always thought people only go for law because they're pretentious and want that atty. prefix to boost their superiority complex. that was what her brother lowkey  aimed for anyway. taeil never admits it but it's obvious.

sympathetically, she said, "sorry."

"i got carried away," he threw back a slight apology.

the mood shifted to one which was solemn within the shine of the sun and the pinkness of the trees. to her surprise, he grinned, then locked eyes with her. for absolutely no reason. it brought raeil relief.

"you know, moonyoung?"

"huh?"

"when i'm with you it feels like i've smiled wider than i ever have for the past twenty-six years."

her gaze dropped from his eyes to his loafers, biting back a grin. the action was practically useless, since her state of being flattered was already shown by her red tinted cheeks.

( ❑❑❑ )

[ timeskip ]

"taeyong, you have to fire that basketball coach."

while having coffee at taeyong's house, doyoung brought it up.

he brought his '#1 principal' mug close to his lips. "coach noh? why? he's good. nice too. accepted him right after seeing the credential of his teams winning big championships."

doyoung began to explain the reasons with visible anger, even standing up to reenact the shit that coach had done. it ended with, "all i see in him is bad vibes. not good for your students."

how he knew the nurse and her unpleasant happenings was questionable to the older, but he just brushed it off and focused.

"oh, ew. i definitely have to."

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

( ❑❑❑ )