. . . . chapter twenty-one.

( ❑❑❑ )

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

after hours of contemplating, raeil arrived to rainbow music cafe a few minutes late, doyoung already sat on one of the couches, lost in thought as he suffered from boredom. his face lit up when she appeared across him.

"hi!"

she decided to cut the chase right away. "i wanted to say sorry. for deceiving you."

"who said i was deceived?"

she cast him a dirty look.

"you knew all along and never told me?"

"if i did, it would be the end of our meetups," he said, leaning back. "i wanted to keep seeing you. and i still do."

"doyoung, you don't understand. i'm not who you think i am. and i'm not the daughter of the haes that own neo zone industries either."

"i know. you're the nurse from taeyong's school, right?"

she began uttering things about her life to make her appear unlikeable. "i tagged along with my brother when he went to seoul because i'd eat better meals with him than with my penniless parents in incheon, but no. we ate ramen cups daily and i lived with him inside his college dorm for years in secret because he'd get expelled if any of the professors knew.

"i went to a community college for nursing and barely attended class because i had to juggle jobs on top of that and i don't really know how i passed, but i did have the worst fucking grades and remarks so now, no legit hospital or clinic would accept me except for that useless one at your friend's school.

"we're in completely different worlds, doyoung. completely different."

still with his look of admiration, he shrugged. "what's wrong with that? does a person's background have to determine another one's perception? that's too much of a toxic mindset. plus, i think our histories shaped us into the strong, interesting people we are now."

oh god. sweet, but please no.

"to be honest, i liked you before the date, raeil," he continued, which piqued the other's interest. "when you helped that kid in the street. i witnessed it. and the whole time i waited for hae moonyoung at the cafe i thought, 'this date is useless. i should've talked to that girl earlier instead. but that girl— you you walked in as my date.

"i wasn't looking for the haes' daughter. and to me, it didn't matter if you were park minji, or jwa junmi, or whoever. i would've still enjoyed my time with you because, well, it's you!"

as much as she hated to admit it, his smooth, sincere way with words alongside his smile that resembled one of a bunny's had her heart warmed.

she admired how it didn't wither in spite of the rollercoaster of rants, or her prolonging of the conversation which definitely wasn't solving his hunger, or even when she started to turn into a dark cloud with all the shares of negativity.

he was something different. cute, even.

"let's order?"

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

( ❑❑❑ )