Chapter 19 - Words Left Unsaid

════════════════════════════════

Chapter 19 — Words Left Unsaid

"Well... that's a man on a mission..."

════════════════════════════════

It wasn't often that Draco got to hang out with Y/n, since both of their friend groups detested each other and for their sake they acted like they hated each other as well. The only times where they could hang out almost normally was during potions, when Professor Snape would pair the two together and they acted like they had to get along with each other, smiles hidden underneath their breaths as they excelled at potions together.

But when they could act like themselves it was in the privacy and company of each other, usually in an unused and empty classroom. They helped each other with homework, they talked about what was going on in their houses (Y/n keeping in mind what her friends would rather keep private from Draco), about their families.

Y/n slowly taught Draco how to be less biased towards others who weren't pure blooded, using many examples to convince him. He was still biased, but Y/n could see his resolve breaking down slowly.

He was snarky, witty, sarcastic, but Y/n found if she ignored him because she was done with his behaviour, he would turn into a puppy, yearning for attention. He was missing that family love that he desperately needed. Sure, his mom loved him, but his father made him feel so pressured and unloved.

So Y/n decided to adopt him (without letting him or anyone else know) into her family away from family cult- I mean, family, just another family. She took into a big sister role and Draco seemed to notice and left it unsaid, just appreciating her doting in private.

It led to this moment, not in private, at dinner where each were at their own tables, eating their food. But they could see each other as they looked up in between the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw students. Their friends wouldn't know where they were looking and could play it off as being lost in their thoughts, just looking straight ahead. And then they made eye contact. They didn't blink as they stared and it went on for a while until Y/n had a hint of a smile on her lips and they struggled not to laugh.

It was a challenge, a friendly battle. Both were determined to win as they watched the other for their next move.

Y/n stayed strong and Draco eventually broke, letting out a puff of silent laughter in order to not bring the attention of his housemates. Y/n broke out in a smile and hid it as she ate her food, looking away from Draco and calming down.

None of their friends noticed anything, and their friendship remained a secret. A Gryfindor and a Slytherin, who would have thought?

═════════════