a educated man

*brief mention of suicide*

Jungkook has texted his mother if they could meet.

His suggestion was to  meet up at a cafe, but she sent him an address instead, asking them to  meet there. He has parked his car a few streets ago, waking the last few  meters by foot. The houses and streets somehow seem familiar but  doesn't every living area in Seoul?

He doesn't know what he  was expecting but certainly not to find his mother sitting on a swing at  a deserted playground. She has her back turned to him, but he  recognizes her anyway. He always has. Every time they went grocery  shopping when he was younger, Jung-hyun would start crying as soon as he  couldn't spot her for a few seconds. Jungkook would always grab his  hand and lead them straight to her, always being able to tell her apart  from everyone else. 

He watches her swing  back and forth for a little before joining her, taking a seat on the  other swing. When he sits down, she startles, looking at him with big  eyes.

"Oh, Jungkook." She is quick to straighten her posture and fix her hair. "Didn't hear you coming. How are you, honey?"

He shrugs, biting his  lip at the pet name and a silence falls upon them, making Jungkook  cringe after a while. But how is he supposed to start this?

"I've heard about the  fight from your father" His mother breaks the silence after a while,  eyeing her son from the side. Jungkook only shrugs once more.

"Do you have a place to stay?"

"Yes" he bites the inside of his cheek.

"Okay, and money for food? And clothes? Do you want me to get you some?"

"I'm fine" he mutters and stares at his shoes while swinging a little.

"I'm glad you called. I meant to do the same..." she utters, eying him once more.

"Really?" Jungkook's voice sounds more bitter then intended, but oh well...

"Yes" she looks at him with big eyes as she nods eagerly. 

"Then why didn't you?"

She doesn't answer him  right away. Instead, Jungkook can see her hide her face in her hands  from the corner of his eyes. "I didn't think you wanted me too" is what  she mutters through her hands after a while. "Am I correct assuming  that?" she glances at him through her spread fingers, like she is afraid  of what Jungkook might say.

"Maybe" he shrugs "But still, you're my mother. Shouldn't you do it anyway?"

She chuckles "You're right. I guess I didn't want you to be mad at me. Not more than you already are probably."

Her words make him raise  an eyebrow. "I'm not going to tell you that I'm not pissed, if that's  what you want to hear. Because I am."

She nods "I know"

"Do you know why?" he  asks, thinking Dr. Kim would be proud of him for taking a step into the  right direction. Maybe, this conversation might actually lead somewhere.  And if not, he could always yell at her in the end, get it all off his  chest for once.

"Because I failed him. I  failed you..." Her voice cracks, pulling Jungkook out of his head and  making him face her with dumbfounded look.

"I failed." Her  shoulders droop and Jungkook notices how she resembles a heap of misery  as she sits on a swing too small for her height and age. "I should have  known. I am his mother goddamnit!" The last words are nearly shouted, triggering something in Jungkook.