10.

Atlanta, Georgia
1010 - ᴀ ʀᴇᴍɪɴᴅᴇʀ ᴛᴏ sᴛᴀʏ ᴘᴏsɪᴛɪᴠᴇ.
___________________________

Mai parked her white 2010 Chevrolet Malibu in front of her childhood home. She quickly grabbed her items and made her way to the front door. It was Thanksgiving and her mother and siblings were excited to see her. Unlocking the door with her house key, she was hit with the smell of fresh linen.

"Mai!" Marquette, Mai's younger brother rushed over to her from the couch as she walked through the front door.

"Hey Quette, how are you?" She smiled as she closed the door behind her, locking it, and hugging him. He wasn't too young but he was way younger than Mai. He was seven and didn't understand why Mai had to stay at college for so long. She would love for her siblings to come to her apartment but she only had a one bedroom and too many siblings.

"Is that my big sister I here Quette screaming about?" Malaysia walked out of the kitchen with a smile on her face.

Malaysia and Mai were spitting images of their Mother. Malaysia was also skinny like Mai but her breasts were a little larger. Malaysia stood at five foot four and was lightskin with dark brown eyes. Her hair was also the same texture as Mai's but she tended to keep it in protective styles as well.

"Lay!" Mai screamed and they ran over to each other to hug, "You gotta tell me everything going on at school! I got shit to tell you too."

"Um, I just know y'all ain't cussin in my damn house!" Their mother Racquel walked out of the kitchen looking at the two girls, "Whew, look at my girls, eighteen and twenty! Y'all making me feel old as hell."

"Hey ma." Mai smiled as she walked over and embraced her mother with a hug, "Where's Maleek?" She asked referring to her baby brother.

"Girl, Maleek's father begged to have him for Thanksgiving. I knew y'all was going to be looking for him. I don't even know why I allowed that shit!"

Maleek was Mai's youngest brother. He was three. Maleek and Marquette had different fathers from Malaysia and Mai. Their father was in jail, Marquette's father was a deadbeat, and Maleek's father was still trying although he was married to a Caucasian woman with one in the oven. Racquel had three different baby daddies and didn't see anything wrong with it, although it was a messy situation sometimes.

Racquel had Mai when she was seventeen with her high school sweetheart, Aaron. She then had Malaysia at nineteen and when she was twenty, Aaron got locked up and charged with the murder. He killed someone when he was sixteen. Racquel met Marquette's father, Larry when she was thirty-three and had Marquette in the same year. He didn't want to take care of Marquette so she moved on and had Maleek when she was thirty-seven. Racquel was now forty with a full family of five.

"It's cool, I'll see him on Christmas." Mai chuckled as she looked around a bit, "It's just us four this year?"

"No, actually your grandparents are coming over along with some other relatives. Nobodies coming till five. It's only two." Racquel said after quickly glancing at her Apple Watch on her arm.

"Did you want us to help with the food?" Malaysia asked.

"Nope, I'm all good! Y'all know I like to cook by myself. Y'all go on somewhere!" She shooed them off before heading back into the kitchen while Marquette ran back over to the couch to play on his PS5.