35.

It was April 1st. Mai and Meech were on their way to Mai's mothers house. Once Meech agreed to meeting her formally, Mai called her mother about it and her mother said she would make dinner for the family. Malaysia wasn't going to go because she had other things planned with June.

As Meech pulled up in front of the house, he parked and the two hopped out heading over to the front door. Mai unlocked it and headed in with him behind her. As Meech walked in, he took in his surroundings. The house was decorated nicely and had pictures of the family all over the walls.

"Mai!" Marquette shouted as he hopped up from the couch and ran over to her, "It feels like you never want to come see us."

"Boy you know I be busy with school." Mai laughed a bit as she hugged her brother, "This is my boyfriend, Meech."

"Boyfriend?" Marquette scrunched up his face, looking over Meech, "Wassup, my name Marquette and you bet not hurt my sister!"

"Stop it." Mai scolded him as Racquel came out of the kitchen with Maleek close behind her.

"I ain't gon' hurt her, lil man." Meech chuckled a bit.

"Well, hello you two." Racquel smiled.

"Hey mom, this is Meech." Mai introduced as Meech flashed her a smile.

"Nice to meet you." Meech said.

"Nice to meet you as well. I'm Mai's mother, Racquel. This is her little brother, Maleek. Leek say hi."

"Hi." Maleek waved a bit as he looked up at Meech's tall figure, "Him so big, mama."

"Leek stop it. That's not something you say to people." Racquel glared at him, "Sorry, he's only three."

"It's all good." Meech laughed a bit, "Soon you'll be big just like me, Leek."

"Big!" Leek tried to flex his muscles.

"He ain't gon' be big. He gon' be small with his punk self." Marquette laughed.

"You da punk. Dirty." Maleek mugged him causing Meech to laugh and Mai to slowly feel embarrassed.

"Oh lord, both of y'all stop." Racquel rolled her eyes, "I'm about to finish making dinner, I'll tell y'all when it's ready." She headed back into the kitchen to finish preparing dinner.

"Go in there with mom. This is a big kids conversation." Marquette bucked at Maleek.

"You mean." Maleek pouted as Mai picked him up. Marquette shrugged and headed back over to the living room to play on his PS5.

"We can go downstairs." Mai said as she headed for the basement and Meech followed her. She sat Maleek on the floor to play with some legos.

"So this where you used to stay, huh?" Meech said as he took a seat on the couch.

"Not really. Me and Lay stayed with our grandparents the majority of the time."

"Why?" Meech held a confused look.

"Ain't no space here, boy. My mother got four kids." She laughed a bit, "Whenever we did stay here, we slept down here on this pull out couch." Meech nodded his head taking in the information. Maleek ran over to Mai and placed a lego in her hand indicating for her to pull it apart. She pulled it apart and handed it back to him causing him to run off and continue building.

The two continued to chat for another thirty minutes until Racquel called them upstairs to eat. The three went upstairs and joined Marquette and Racquel at the kitchen table. Racquel had prepared Lasagna, Caesar Salad, and Breadsticks.

"Make sure you eat all that salad, Maleek. I'm not playing." Racquel glared at the boy as he frowned a bit before sticking his small fork into his salad. Once Mai and Meech had made their plates, Racquel made Marquette's plate and then hers before sitting down.

"So, Meech how old are you, sweetie?" Racquel asked as she sipped on her wine.

"Twenty-two. I'll be twenty-three in June." He said before eating some of his lasagna.

"Mhm, so are you from the area?"

"Yes ma'am. Born and raised." He nodded his head.

"Can you fight?" Marquette looked over at him causing Maleek to burst into laughter.

"Ha-ha. Fight." Maleek said.

"Boys, stop." Racquel glared at each of them. Mai sat quietly and ate her food. She wished her brothers weren't there because things weren't going the way she wanted. Mai loved her brothers but at the end of the day, they were still boys who enjoyed childish games.

"What games you be playin', Marquette?" Meech switched topics after seeing that Racquel was growing irritated from their behavior.

"Fortnite, GTA, Call of Du—"

"Bet I could trash you in all of them." Meech laughed which made Mai snicker a bit. She knew how much Marquette loved video games.

"No you can't!" He yelled a bit, "Run me my round after dinner."

"Bet." Meech nodded his head agreeing to the match. The group continued to talk and Mai was glad her mother seemed to like Meech. After dinner, the boys and Meech went out to the living room to play Fortnite as Maleek watched on the sidelines. Mai stayed behind in the kitchen to clean up dishes.

"How you feelin' about him?" Mai asked as she collected the plates from the table.

"Does he sell drugs?" Racquel went straight to the point as she washed the glasses in the sink.

"Yeah but—"

"I'm not a fan of it." Racquel cut her off, "I know how I was once I got out of high school with your father and it hurt me. I don't want to see you hurt at all Mai."

"Right but you can't judge him because of it. I mean, he's not judging you..."

"What's that supposed to mean? Single black mother with four kids? Is that what you're trying to say? Mai you've never disrespected me, don't let today be the day you get your ass whooped." Racquel snapped a bit, "You can do what you want because you're grown but I'm just letting you know what comes with being grown."

"I understand." Mai muttered as she quickly finished cleaning up, "Well we're about to head out. It's getting late."

"Nope you just have an attitude." Racquel chuckled a bit, "But it's okay, baby. I'll see you soon. Love you."

"Love you too." Mai faked a smile as she headed out of the kitchen into the living room, "Meech, you ready?"

"I want round three! You cheated the first two." Marquette mugged Meech.

"Maybe next time, lil bruh." Meech chuckled as he sat the controller on the coffee table.

"Ha-ha. Quette suckie." Maleek laughed.

"Shut up! You can't even play." Marquette mugged his brother.

"Yes I can. I'm better than you." Maleek stuck his tongue out. Mai rolled her eyes as Meech stood up from the couch and she walked over to Marquette hugging him, and then Maleek.

"I'll see y'all in about 3 and a half weeks." Mai said. Spring semester ended at the end of April. She was glad she was about to become a senior and soon she was going to graduate college.

"And then you'll be home?" Marquette smiled.

"No, but I'll be at grandma's." Mai chuckled a bit, "I'll come by and see you though. You don't get out of school until June."

"Yup and then I'll be going to the third grade." Marquette smiled big, "I'll learn multiplication." Mai nodded her head as Meech went into the kitchen to say his goodbyes to Racquel. After he came back out and said bye to the boys, the two left the house. Mai wasn't going to inform Meech about what Racquel said. Mai was mad and the only thing she wanted to do was get in her bed.