46.

A week had passed making it an official three weeks since Mai's been in a coma. Everybody was growing more concerned by the day, especially Meech since the doctors told him that she'd possibly wake up soon.

"Alright, well I'm about to head home to prep dinner for Quette and Leek." Racquel sighed as she stood up, grabbing her purse.

"Alright, Ms. Racquel." Meech stood up and gave her a hug. The two have been more cordial with each other. Meech never had a problem with Racquel to began with but Racquel was starting to understand how much he loved her daughter.

The room was filled with different gifts and most of them were from Meech. He had also been giving Racquel money since she was missing so much work trying to make sure her daughter was okay.

"Watch over my baby and call me if anything happens." Racquel smiled small before walking out of the room tiredly.

Meech sat back down near Mai's beside and scrolled on his phone looking at pictures of her. He tapped his foot a bit as different things ran through his mind. He'd been trying not to blame himself for the accident and her condition but it was hard.

He glanced up every so often at the TV in the room so it could take his mind off of everything. Princess and the Frog was playing loudly. It was Mai's favorite movie.

Knocked out of his thoughts, his phone started ring and he answered to June.

"Wassup?" Meech leaned back in his seat a bit.

"Did sleeping beauty wake her ass up yet?" June said.

"Stop playin' with her like that." Meech sucked his teeth and looked over Mai who was still laying peacefully, "But nah, her moms just left up outta' here."

"Damn. Lay been talking about her all day. I think she going crazy not having someone to talk to other than me and Kinna."

June and Malaysia had been spending a lot of time with each other. He knew how close Malaysia was with her sister so he genuinely felt bad and was trying to be there for her as much as possible.

The ending of the Princess and the Frog displayed on the TV as the credits rolled in playing Never Knew I Needed by Ne-Yo. Meech glanced over at the TV remembering how much Mai loved the song.

He grew to enjoy it too after listening to it closely. If it was a song out there that could describe how he felt about Mai, it would be that song.

"Yeah, I been tryna' talk to Lay every now and again but she just seemed closed off. Gotta' try to keep her hopes high." Meech shrugged a bit and instantly scrunched up his face when he saw Mai's hand twitch.

"Hol up, Ima call you back." Instantly hanging up the phone, he stared at Mai as her hand twitched again and her eyes slowly fluttered open then shut again.

"Oh shit!" Meech jumped up, "Aye doctor!" He ran out into the hallway as Mai squeezed her eyes shut. The room was far too bright for her.

"My baby awake, I just seen it." Meech ran back in with a few nurses and Doctor Hansel.

"Mai, sweetie?" One of the nurses, Nurse Joy said as Mai slowly opened her eyes and clicked her tongue a few times.

"Get her some water." Doctor Hansel instructed. Nurse Joy headed out into the hall and quickly got her a cup of water.

Heading over to Mai, she put it up to her lips and Mai slowly drank it. She was beyond thirsty.

"I'm going to alert her family members." Another nurse, Nurse Tonja scurried out of the room.

Meech was lost for words and wanted to scream and jump up and down like a little kid but that wasn't his character.

"Damn, give my girl some space. She just woke up." Meech mugged Nurse Joy causing her to back away a bit.

"Where—" Mai said dryly before she coughed a bit.

"Take your time, Mai." Doctor Hansel instructed.

"Where—" She coughed again growing beyond irritated with herself, "—am I?" Looking around at everyone her face softened a little at Meech.

"Grady Memorial Hospital." Doctor Hansel answered proudly, "How are you feeling, Mai?"

"Fine." Slowly she lifted her arm up looking over her cast.

"I'll give you two some time before we come back and run a couple of tests..." Doctor Hansel politely smiled at Meech before heading out of the room with his staff.

"That Princess and the Frog made yo' ass wake up huh?" Meech smiled a bit as he took a seat next to her.

"Demetrius..." She stared at him before putting her arm down, "Get...me...the fuck out this hospital."

Although she wanted to be a nurse, Mai never liked hospitals. She'd rather help than be a patient.

"I can't, baby. The doctors gotta' run some test on you. You've been in a coma for three weeks." He rubbed her hand a bit causing her to wide eyed him. To her, it felt like a couple days.

"Can't be..." She looked down at her cast again, "I want this off too, it's ugly."

"Mai." He straight faced her as Racquel, her brothers, Malaysia, and Lakinna instantly rushed in.

"Mai!" Malaysia screamed as she pushed Meech out of the way and hugged her sister.

"Lay act like you got some damn sense in this hospital." Racquel mugged over her before setting Maleek on the ground, "Marquette, watch your brother."

"He needs to watch himself." Marquette sassed which instantly caused him to get yolked up and slapped by his mother.

"Don't make me do it again. Watch your mouth and go sit down." She gritted through her teeth as Marquette held onto the side of his face and went to sit on the couch with his brother.

"Mai, baby, how are you feeling?" Racquel headed over and caressed her cheek a bit.

"Fine. I want to get out this hospital." Mai tried to move a little. Her arms were fine but for some reason she couldn't feel her legs all the way, "I can't feel my legs!"

"What?" Racquel looked over her and then at Meech.

"I can move my arms just not my legs." Mai pouted as Doctor Hansel headed back into the room with his staff.

"Alright, we're going to—"

"Why can't she feel her legs, Doctor Hansel?" Malaysia instantly cut him off sending him a glare.

"I-I was unaware which is why we're going to run some tests." Doctor Hansel held his composure, "I'm going to need everyone to vacate the room, please. I'll answer questions later."

"No, no, I don't want to be by myself..." Mai looked at everyone in fear, "Please..."

"Mai, you'll be okay." Racquel assured.

"We gon' wait for you when you done." Meech kissed her cheek. Everyone left out the room one by one leaving Mai stuck by herself.

She was beyond scared and didn't want to be by herself. Plus, she couldn't feel her legs.