33.

Mai and Lakinna had just landed in New York and were on their way to the Bronx to Lakinna's apartment in a taxi.

"Damn, it's cold out here." Mai said as she checked her phone to see it was 43° in New York.

"Girl, it's always brick out here. That Atlanta weather is nothing compared to New York." Lakinna chuckled a bit. The two kept up with minimal conversation as the taxi pulled in front of her project building. She paid him and then the two hopped out. After grabbing their luggages from the trunk, Lakinna and Mai made their way into the building and up a few stairs to Lakinna's apartment.

Lakinna opened the door to her apartment which was a three bedroom and one and half baths. Lakinna lived with her parents and her brother who was seventeen.

"My parents ain't home yet. Only Leon here." Lakinna said as the two entered the apartment and Lakinna closed the door making sure to lock it, "Leon! Come meet my friend from school!" She yelled out and soon after he came from the back and into the living room.

"Damn, I ain't think she'd be fire like that. Wassup, I'm Leon." He smiled a bit. Leon was dark-skin like Lakinna and stood at six feet. He was wearing basketball shorts and a wife beater that displayed his tattoo on his forearm that read Raven, their mother's name. He had a babyface and braces but he was still a good-looking guy.

"Don't mess with her, Leon. I'll smack you." Lakinna rolled her eyes.

"I'm Mai, nice to meet you." Mai laughed a bit. Lakinna rolled her eyes and headed to her room with her suitcase.

"I'll take that." Leon smiled as he took Mai's suitcase and they followed Lakinna to her room, "If you need anything my room right down the hall."

"Boy bye, she don't want your little ass." Lakinna laughed as Leon sucked his teeth and headed out of the room, closing the door behind him, "I wish I had a sister like you. Ugh."

"Girl it wasn't always easy. Me and Lay used to fight over clothes and hair products." Mai laughed. When the two sisters were in middle school, Malaysia used to always steal Mai's clothes. Mai hated it but she grew to not really care. Lakinna's phone buzzed from her hoodie and she instantly took it out seeing it was a text from her friend.

"Ooh, my friend Sage said someone's throwing a little kickback around the way. We should go!" Lakinna cheesed a bit as she started to reply to the message.

"See I knew you were going to be on that shit. That's exactly why I packed me some going out clothes." Mai laughed a bit, "What time?"

"Eight. It's only three sum'. We got more than enough time." Lakinna shooed her off. The two decided to sit back and talk more until they decided to start getting ready.

~

Mai and Lakinna made their way out of the apartment after saying their goodbyes to Raven and Lakinna's father, Stephon. They headed downstairs and outside to get into an Uber. After about thirty minutes due to traffic, the two arrived around ten and headed into the apartment building. Making their way to the room, they headed inside and were greeted by smoke filling the air, red LED lights, and a large crowd of people holding cups of liquor. Face Of The What by Sha Ek played throughout the room making the walls and floor vibrate as a group of boys started dancing in the middle of the kickback.

"Girl what the fuck..." Mai laughed at the way they were dancing.

"Girl don't play. Niggas definitely be getting sturdy." Lakinna said as they headed over to the couch where Sage was sitting, "Hey girl, this my friend Mai from school."

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, girl." Sage smiled displaying her gold smiley piercing on her pearly whites. Sage was a spiritual girl but still liked to go out to parties and have fun. She enjoyed collecting crystals, taking nature walks, and she loved smoking weed.

"Same to you." Mai smiled back.

"Y'all should get a drink. They got henny." Sage chucked a bit, "And I seen Suge here." She said referring to Lakinna's ex-boyfriend.

"Where he at?" Lakinna raised a brow.

"In the kitchen." Sage laughed a bit and Lakinna and Mai headed towards the kitchen. Suge was leaning on the counter, holding a Hennessy bottle in his hand while talking to a group of guys.

"Hey Suge." Lakinna said as she approached the group, "This my girl Mai."

"Hey y'all." Mai said to everyone.

"Damn, she fine as shit." One the guys said, "I know you ain't from here."

"I'm from Atlanta." Mai smiled a bit.

"She ain't no treesh so don't try it." Lakinna mugged them.

"You just got here?" Suge asked her as he pulled her close, "I ain't even know you was comin' home." Mai quickly took in Suge's appearance. Suge sported a white Essentials long sleeve shirt, grey Ksubi jeans, and white Balenciaga Allover Triple Sneakers. He had a big silver chain that displayed "Suge" in graffiti lettering and a silver Frosted Star dust Paul Rich watch. Mai could see how he was able to afford all of Lakinna's designer items.

"You got a nigga, Mai? I'm tryna fuck with you. You sum' different." The same guy said again, "My name Kilo."

"Yeah I got a nigga." Mai quickly said.

"He ain't here though." Kilo shrugged a bit.

"Aye, don't start that shit. She said she got a nigga, Kilo." Suge mugged his friend as Lakinna snickered a bit. As Mai continued to vibe to the music for a bit, Sage approached the group with a blunt in her hand. Mai was glad to get some female company since Lakinna was occupied with Suge. Mai wasn't mad at her but she wanted to talk to someone.

"What's your sign?" Sage asked as she inhaled and exhaled from her blunt.

"Capricorn." Mai smiled.

"I definitely see it." Sage giggled a bit, "I'm a Virgo. And before you say it, no I am not a liar." The two shared a laugh.

"Yeah cause y'all virgos be something else." Mai died down her laughter.

"You smoke, girl?" Sage handed her the blunt and Mai nodded her head accepting it. She took three pulls and it felt good to have a small high.

Sage was genuinely a nice person. She didn't keep around negative people or energy because she hated it. She stood at five foot five, lightskin with a small frame. She loved piercings, she had her belly button pierced, her nipples, her smiley, her nose, and about eight piercings on her ears. Her hair was long, black and wavy. Mai could tell she was mixed with something. Sage was French and Black, she was born in St. Maarten and moved to New York when she was ten.

"I love your vibe. You need to come to New York more often." Sage said as Mai handed her back the blunt.

"Maybe." Mai laughed a bit, "It's definitely different from home."

"Everywhere is different. That's why it's good to get out and travel. I love seeing how people act because it all comes from their backgrounds. When I moved to New York, I was confused by the rudeness but that's just how New Yorkers are."

"Yeah that's definitely true." Mai nodded her head as she looked around a bit more. The two continued to chat until the time was about two in the morning. Sage had invited Lakinna and Mai over and they took up on the request. The three headed out to an Uber and headed to Sage's apartment which was also in the Bronx. Once they arrived they headed into her building and to her floor.