Chapter 27 : Aragog

Summer was creeping over the grounds around the castle; sky and lake alike turned periwinkle blue and flowers large as cabbages burst into bloom in the greenhouses.

News of Hagrid having gotten arrested by the Ministry and Dumbledore leaving had already turned into old news.....

But with Dumbledore gone, fear had spread as never before, so that the sun warming the castle walls outside seemed to stop at the mullioned windows. There was barely a face to be seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense, and any laughter that rang through the corridors sounded shrill and unnatural and was quickly stifled.

Celestia found it unnatural to see Hogwarts like this, the castle itself had heightened its' security after she had put a good quarter of her own Magic into its walls, the fact that they weren't allowed to wander off on their own but had to move around the castle in a pack with the other students made most seem glad that they were being shepherded from class to class by teachers.

The first years were even happier, Celestia having ordered Fenris to walk with them whenever they had to walk through Corridors when switching classes and stay with them throughout the whole day until Lunch and Dinner. It was why most Professors now had placed a Dog bed in the corner of their classrooms, seeing that the beast would stay there for at least a few hours a day.

One person, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and suspicion. Draco was strutting around the school as though he had just been appointed Head Boy. Regulus and their fellow Slytherins didn't realize what it was that he was so pleased about until the Potions lesson about two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid had been appointed Head Boy. Regulus and their fellow Slytherins didn't realize what it was that he was so pleased about until the Potions lesson about two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid had left, when, sitting right in front of Draco, Regulus, and Theo had overheard him gloating to Crabbe and Goyle.

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubled to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Draco, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job - I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir--"

Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon, fortunately not spotting Seamus Finnigan, who was pretending to vomit into his cauldron.

Regulus and Theo actually for once agreed with the sentiment of a Gryffindor.....

Snape as Headmaster.........

Alone the thought made them want to rebuke.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Draco went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger--"

The bell rang at that moment, which was lucky; at Draco's last words, Regulus' hand was twitching to reach for his Wand, the Cruciatus Curse on the tip of his tongue....

, ...... You made a promise to Celestia.... do not curse your cousin.....' repeated the Slytherin to himself, retreating his hand and making it stay at his side so he wouldn't be tempted.

"Hurry up, I've got to take you all to Herbology," barked Snape over the class's heads, and off they marched.

The Herbology class was very subdued; there were now two missing from their number, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Hermione Granger.