Chapter 49 : Tensions arise

It took a good few seconds for the statement to sink in.......

Then Ronald voiced what Harry was thinking.

"You're both mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Granger faintly.

, I think I'm going to be sick......' thought Regulus, his knees feeling wobbly......

Fenris let out a small whine, bumping his head into the teens' side to hopefully snap him out of it.....

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me...not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Sirius lunged at Scabbers; Ronald yelled with pain as Sirius's weight fell on his broken leg.

, ...Please.......Just......' The young Heir of the Black family felt his anxiety skyrocket, his breathing becoming uneven...........

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ronald again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that -- they need to understand -- we've got to explain --"

"We can explain afterward!" snarled Sirius, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ronald's face and neck as he tried to escape.

Tom got to his feet, eyes set on Regulus who looked like he was about to collapse...

"They've -- got -- a -- right -- to -- know -- everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry -- you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ronald's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Sirius said, without taking his eyes off the rat.

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

The former Dark Lord rolled his eyes at that, observing Regulus as he clutched the locket gifted to him by Celestia in an iron grip.

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ronald shakily, looking round at Harry and Granger for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Lupin raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ronald," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ronald yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ronald swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him being pushed back down to the bed. Then, ignoring Sirius, Harry turned to Lupin.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Sirius savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ronald's hands.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself -- until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies...Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Harry."

Harry looked down at Ronald, and as their eyes met, they agreed, silently: Black and Lupin were both out of their minds. Their story made no sense whatsoever. How could Scabbers be Peter Pettigrew? Azkaban must have unhinged Black after all -- but why was Lupin playing along with him?