Chapter 22

"So...." I began, breaking the silence. Ae-Young and I were now sitting on the floor of her apartment, silently. We didn't talk much on our way here either.

Once we reached here and got in the door, she was quick to give me my umbrella. It's currently leaning against a wall, beside the door, so I don't forget it. But after that happened, she came into her living room and I followed. Since then, we both sat in silence.

"Listen, I know I've been....distant." Ae-Young replied, and I couldn't help but hum in agreement.

"Yeah you have...." I accidentally mumbled. Ae-Young clearly noticed, as she looked my way. But instead of defending herself, she just looked away, saying nothing on the matter. "But I understand."

"No you don't." Ae-Young was quick to reply. "You're just trying to make sure I don't feel bad. Which you shouldn't be."

"So what? You expect me to tell you off?" I replied, with a small chuckle, which might I add, was not returned.

Ae-Young didn't say anything, she only got up. Instead of sitting opposite her, I was now beside her. She held out her hand, looking up at me.

"I know we both need it." She quietly said, and I took her hand in mine. I instantly felt more energy, but unfortunately, it was accompanied with nothing else. Here comes the silence, again.

And there it was. She didn't say anything, and nor did I. I didn't know what to say. I hoped maybe she could start up the conversation, something like that. But instead, I was met with something different.

Almost all of a sudden, I had a heavy heart. It was like there was something bothering me. I quickly turned to Ae-Young, and I noticed tears in her eyes. Without thinking twice, I wrapped my arms around her. Something seemed to have come over me, but I didn't move when realising what I was doing.

Ae-Young seemed slightly shocked at first too, but held on tight. She sobbed lightly in my arms, hugging me tighter every few seconds. My heart ached, as I felt the pain she did. She didn't have to tell me what she was feeling, I was going through all of it with her.

"I'm sorry...." She whispered. "I've been horrible to you, to my friend....and now look at me; Crying."

"Hey, it's okay-

"No, it's not." She interrupted. "All Soomin was trying to do was help, like you are. She helped me through all the tough times I had with...."

I waited for Ae-Young to continue, but she didn't. She seemed to have stopped crying. It all stopped so suddenly, without a reason. She quickly pulled away from me, standing up.

"You can go." She stated, rather coldly. I sighed loudly, giving a single, bitter chuckle. She's putting her walls up again.

I was shocked at hearing this. It was like, all of a sudden, she had some sort of obligation to not be vulnerable with me. Frankly, after having something like this, happen so many times....I'm done with it.

I've become so tired of this behavior. I can only put up with so much of it, before it starts getting to me. So as I stood up, I knew I had to let her know this.

"Okay, stop doing this." I stated, seeing her turn back around.

"Doing what?" She replied, keeping up the cold exterior.

"That!" I basically shouted. "One minute I feel like you hate me, the next I'm like your best friend. I can't keep up."

"I didn't ask you to." She replied, after taking a few seconds to think.