Chapter 40

It's been just over a week since I handed in my notice to my boss. Since then, to my relief, he's been rather distant. Unfortunely, some other important people in my life have been acting the same way. Neither Yoongi nor Soomin have been keeping in touch as often. I barely reach Yoongi nowadays, getting a text maybe once a day, if at all.

But what's worse is the distance between Soomin and I. My own best friend. It's difficult to come to terms with our lack of communication as of late. We say a quick hello in the mornings at work, but she rushes off to start her morning duties before the conversation can go any further. On occasion she apologises via a small text late at night. But our relationship sure is rocky.

That's why I'm standing here now, in front of her appartment door. I want to clear this all up. We've been friends for so long, I'd hate for it all to go down the drain. I know sometimes friendships naturally dwindle and people can drift away from natural causes. But I didn't want that to happen to this relationship. So I quickly rang the bell before I could back out.

It takes a minute or two until a hear a loud voice telling me to hold on a few seconds. It's Soomin's voice, of course. Then like she said, in a matter of seconds the door opened. I wasn't greeted with a smile or even an attempt at a pleasant look. Her eyes just widen, and she doesn't hide her surprise.

"Ae-Young, what are you doing here?" She asks, opening the door just enough for me to see her, but not anything inside.

"I just want to talk..." I explain, hearing a small sigh come from her. "Soomin, what's going on with us? I feel like we're so distant recently."

"Yeah, we are." She agrees, no emotion in her voice. Now I'm the one wearing a shocked expression. "I just have a lot going on right now, alright."

"You know you can come to me if-

"Yeah, I know." She cuts off. I can hear the tapping of her foot from behind the door. She's growing impatient, she wants me to leave.

"Can't we just talk this out?" I attempt once more. Though I just get a shrug in return. "Have I done something to upset you?"

"No, I'm just busy. Okay?" Soomin sighs out in frustration. "Now are you finished? Can I get back to what I'm doing?"

"I'm sorry..." I reply quietly, stepping back a little. I was about to say something else, about to leave right after I said it. But a new voice suddenly came from behind me, disrupting that chain of events from happening.

"Ae-Young, what are you doing here?" The voice asks. I turn around and see Eunha, Soomin's soulmate, behind me. "And Soomin, you too?"

"I wanted to get a start on..." Soomin begins to explain to Eunha, but stops as she looks back to me. She lightly sighs to herself and shakes head, but continues. "On the unpacking."

"You've told Ae-Young?" Eunha says with a confused tone, pushing the door open to reveal the inside. There's boxes upon boxes stacked on top of one another.

"Told me what?" I ask, even though I'm fairly sure I know what's going on. She's moving.

"You should ask her in, Soomin." Eunha suggests as she walks through the door.

"But I thought you-

"I said you should ask your friend in." Eunha states sternly, cutting Soomin off before she can continue to complain.

"Why don't you come in, Ae-Young?" Soomin asked with a sigh of frustration. She really took her time contemplating on whether or not it was a good idea. So before she could take it back, I stepped into her apartment.