Chapter 35

Ae-Young's P.O.V.

I  found myself rather tired once I reached home, after a long day at work. Today was horrible. Right when I went back to work, after lunch with Yoongi, the atmosphere felt more tense than usual. But to be honest, that might've just been me. Maybe I'm overthinking it all.

I'd say I just felt more cautious from the moment I put together my two weeks notice. For some reason, I felt kinda guilty writing it up. I've worked with this same company for years.

It definitely felt a little odd to be leaving soon. I mean, this job is just one of few I've ever had. Of course, while I was in second level education and still a teenager, I worked part-time jobs. I remember mostly working at a restaurant close to where my childhood home was.

Then, once I got into college I was offered a place at this very company, just for training. The lady that had basically took me under her wing, Mrs. Kim, has since left. I must've left a pretty good impression while I was here in my college years, because as soon as I earned my degree I was offered a permanent position here.

I guess that was why I was on the edge of my seat all day. I had been dreading the moment I'd have to hand it in, making it official. I was going to leave this company. This was a huge step for me. And hopefully, it was one in the right direction.

I relaxed my shoulders as I leant back in my chair, realising I had been rather tense at just the mere thought of leaving. Luckily, that was all I needed to stress over. Mr. Lee hadn't been in his office by the time I was leaving, so I sent a him a quick email to say my official notice was left on his desk.

I wanted to have two sources from which he could get my letter, just in case. I don't think he'd be pleased if suddenly I never came back, in the event he hadn't seen my letter on his table. I really didn't need that, so it would be better to be safe that sorry, as they say.

I quickly leaned over to grab my phone from my bag, before relaxing into my chair again. I was thinking during work that I'd have to find a part time job soon, especially if I want to go back and study. I needed to have a regular income if I wanted to pay all the fees, as well as my cost of living.

I was lucky enough that I had started a savings account from when I had my first ever job. From then on, I saved a certain percentage from every paycheck I received. As I grew older and my pay started increasing little by little, I also saw the need to start saving more.

Thankfully, I only had to look out for myself, so it was easy to keep my expenses in check. I guess it was only really this year that I started worrying less about money, and a bit more about living. It was at the beginning of this year, mother unfortunately had been sent to the hospital on countless occasions.

Ever since then, I think I realised just how important it was to live and enjoy life. I guess the experiences over the year also helped me see my career in a new light too. I thought back over not just the past few weeks, but all the way back to the very end of last year.

It was new years eve, another year almost over. I had been spending the evening by myself. I was supposed to be enjoying my time with Soomin, but she cancelled on me last minute. She offered no reason, but I didn't wish to pry.

I turned off the TV, realising I hadn't even looked at it in the last half hour. I was just consumed by work, the bundles of paper to my right getting smaller as the night progressed. On my left, a small glass of wine, the liquid in it getting smaller too as the night went on.